Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm rebuilding an 82 Yamaha virago 750, I rebuilt/cleaned the carbs bought a new starter, oil change and clean gas. I got it running! But gas is leaking out of the front carburetor when I turn it off (at the front boot). It doesn't leak when it's running. Any ideas to the cause? Thanks in advance!

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
You might have a stuck or misadjusted float in that carb letting the bowl overflow. Look up how to check the fuel level in the bowels and check them both.

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
Registered
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400
71 Posts
Like Mike said. You have a stuck float, probably a float needle with a speck of dirt on the tip where it seats when it's supposed to shut off or restrict fuel flow. It probably doesn't leak when the bike is running because it's using up the fuel at a greater rate than allows it to leak. Shut the fuel off, remove the bowl and float with the needle (carefully). A shot of carb cleaner with the red plastic straw up the orifice the needle comes out of, blast the needle with a can of Dust-Off, (don't use carb cleaner directly on the needle if it has a rubber tip). Clean the bowl up really good, check the bowl gasket condition, make sure there are no cracks and it's in the o-ring groove and you should be okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like Mike said. You have a stuck float, probably a float needle with a speck of dirt on the tip where it seats when it's supposed to shut off or restrict fuel flow. It probably doesn't leak when the bike is running because it's using up the fuel at a greater rate than allows it to leak. Shut the fuel off, remove the bowl and float with the needle (carefully). A shot of carb cleaner with the red plastic straw up the orifice the needle comes out of, blast the needle with a can of Dust-Off, (don't use carb cleaner directly on the needle if it has a rubber tip). Clean the bowl up really good, check the bowl gasket condition, make sure there are no cracks and it's in the o-ring groove and you should be okay.
cool! Thank you for the reply! I adjusted my floats and cleaned the bowl, I just have to get the carbs back on the bike to see if it works. Thanks again!

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
Your welcome!.
Make sure you come back and let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to pull the carbs back out and adjust the floats. Good news, the gas isn't leaking anymore. Bad news, the bike won't start at all now. I sprayed some starter fluid in the carbs and it sputtered for a second. Maybe the fuel mixture is too lean?
Thanks again for the help!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,523 Posts
Clean the plugs or replace them and try again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have brand new plugs in too and adjusted the gap as stated in the manual. It's so close, just won't stay started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts