Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 82 suzuki gs 650gl. I currently am having 2 issues with the bike i'm not sure if they could be related or not. The first issue is that the bike will only start if it has sat on prime for at least an hour. This sucks because I only get one or 2 shots to start the bike and then i have to let it sit again.

The second issue, and the bigger issue is that it won't start in colder temperatures. If it is below 65 degrees it won't start, but anything over 70 it starts great. It runs really strong wants it has been started and has had time to warm up. I can't figure out whats going on with this. One of my friends thought it could be a problem with the diaphram. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The famous GS issues. Read this thread, everything here related to you as well, http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=82120 . The reason your bike needs to be put on prime to start the bike, is because the petcock runs on a vacuum system. This vacuum system only runs when the bike is running (that is the ON position on the petcock). To get around the vacuum part and let the gas flow freely we use PRIme. So if the petcock isn't flowing freely on PRIme you will need to replace the petcock for sure. Usually the PRIme setting is only left on for a few minutes.

Now how about those cold starts? This too is a symptom of gummed carbs, especially jets. You too are going to need to completely tear down your carbs, clean them thoroughly, replace all the O-rings and put them all back together.

Check out the links in the post I linked you too and let us know if you have any other questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts