Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 82 nighthawk650 has been sitting for a year or two and when the key turns on, all the electrical components work. However, when I hit the start button the lights dim and a 'click' occurs. Has anybody else had similar problems and if so what did you do to turn that 'click' into an actual start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A bike that's been sitting that long, you need to make sure the engine's not seized up. If it is, you'll just smoke the starter trying to turn it over. Pull the spark plugs and timing cover. Use a wrench to turn the engine over manually. It should turn fairly easily with no compression. If it doesn't, then don't force it. You'll need to open the engine and figure out whats wrong. If it does turn easily, then you can rule out a seized engine and proceed with looking at the electrics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1983 NightHawk. Started it yesterday after sitting for 2 years.
At first it would not start so I jumped the battery to my van, added fresh gas and plugs and after 5 minutes of turning her over, she finally started. I will replace the battery as it will not hold a charge.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a 83 cb550sc nighthawk, I have had the same problem. First like others have said , check the battery. Second, if you still get a "click" and nothing else, your starter MAY have bad brushes. When I took mine apart one of the wires to the brush was burnt in two. After i bought and installed a starter rebuild kit. I have not had a problem with it starting since. Good luck , hope this helps.
stein

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 83 cb550sc nighthawk, I have had the same problem. First like others have said , check the battery. Second, if you still get a "click" and nothing else, your starter MAY have bad brushes. When I took mine apart one of the wires to the brush was burnt in two. After i bought and installed a starter rebuild kit. I have not had a problem with it starting since. Good luck , hope this helps.
stein

If the bike has been sitting for a long time, check that the engine's not seized first. Otherwise you'll just smoke your starter and possible other electrical parts trying to turn it over.

·
Registered
228 Posts
munkey, I agree the engine needs to be tested to make sure it is free turning. My suggestion is from my own trial and error. If the bike is that old, and not serviced well, the starter brushes MAY very well have never been maintained.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts