Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought an '82 Honda Nighthawk 650 from a guy and started it up and it ran fine. I let it sit for one week and this weekend I started it up and rode for a bit. When I stopped it and tried starting it again, the engine would turn over but wouldn't start. I rolled it back to my place and then went out to try to start it 20 minutes later and it started up again only it would not idle in neutral, it just stalled out and wouldn't start again. It has gas in it, and the headlight and other lights turn on and everything, so I know the battery is working. Has this ever happend to anyone else?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
My first suspect is old fuel or particles clogging up the fuel system. How long has the gas been sitting in the bike?

You did remember to turn the petcock to "run", correct?

·
Registered
211 Posts
This sounds like a carb problem to me as well, and honestly it is the cheapest and most logical route to go first. Do not be intimidated by the way they look or the fact you might have to remove the assembly and clean them.

But first make sure the fuel line, petcock, and vacuum line from the petcock to intake boot all are working correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts