Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a GL500 but the guy selling it says that it has a clogged idle circuit on the right side carbs. Would this be an easy fix? Sent me a video of the attempted start, but he says it starts and runs, but runs at high rpm's. Decent bike at a better price.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The carb would likely need to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. The main problem with buying a non-running motorcycle is it's only a guess as to what else is wrong with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am going to check it out Saturday to see if he can get it to start. I figured it'd need a good cleaning. Any clue on how difficult it is to sync carbs yourself, or would it be more worth it to just take it somewhere?

·
Registered
15 Posts
cleaning and syncing is a fairly simple process. you will need to pick up some vacuum guages but they are pretty cheap compared to labor these days. for a lot of people new to cleaning carbs it takes 2-3 tries before they find all the tiny passages to clean so the bike runs right. just be methodical take pics during removal and disassembly and dont be discouraged if you need to do it again.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm very familiar with that bike and those carbs. If it is a 82 GL that is a Goldwing and it is a 1100 not a 500.

Now the 82 carbs idle jet is pressed in and a bugger to get out. What I would do first is fill the bowl with Seafoam and let it sit for a day or maybe two. Then run the bike and see if it clears. If not you will need to pull the carbs and rebuild them, don't do just on, do them all. If you need step by step instructions on those carbs PM me and I will email you everything you will need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks undead and blaine for the advice. Hopecully it just meeds a good cleaning, but if not, im up for the challenge of rebuilding. As for the gl thing, he might have just had the title wrong. It surely isnt the size of what id expect an 1100 motor to be. It is spraypaintedblack so its hard to make out what it says on the panels. But it looks like it says silverwing. Either way, im happy about it and excited to undergo this semi-project, if it actually turns out to need a carb rebuild. Thanks again guys. Ill let you know in a few days whats going on with the carbs.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Honda made a GL500 using their CX V-twin engine. Nice bikes from what I hear. Basically it's similar to a cx500, but with a lot of bags.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had any idea whatsoever how to post a picture on here, I would love to show you guys the bike. But honestly, I cannot figure it out haha. After losing out on a sabre, nighthawk, and CB750C, I have settled for my 4th of my top 5 bikes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I had any idea whatsoever how to post a picture on here, I would love to show you guys the bike. But honestly, I cannot figure it out haha. After losing out on a sabre, nighthawk, and CB750C, I have settled for my 4th of my top 5 bikes.
I've posted images here by hosting them on Imageshack or Photobucket and just pasting in the link. That should get you there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went and got the bike today. It was a big step since I know nothing about motorcycles. It was in a bit rougher shape than originally stated. The right carb (or possibly the right side of the engine) is not working properly. The guy started it but it was running roughly. The pipe doesn't get hot even when the engine is revved. And to top it off, the ignition switch is pretty bad off. Other than trying to fix the carbs and switch, I'm hoping and praying that the title isn't messed up as well. Other than that, I'm excited about this project!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup paid him 550, so it was a cheap deal. I'm thinking that since you asked that, it is probably going to be something bad. That sucks man.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Yup paid him 550, so it was a cheap deal. I'm thinking that since you asked that, it is probably going to be something bad. That sucks man.
No, nothing bad at all. Congrats on the bike! Now the fun begins!

:smiley_drinkcoffee:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts