Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas.
I have a member of the family that has a '82 CB900c Custom that has been sitting in his garage for a number of years. . It has approx 45000 miles on it with newer tires. Still is a great looking bike! The bike runs but uses oil. I am looking for a good classic starter bike for my son. The question I have is (okay 'bout 3-4), am I looking at a complete overhaul? If so where can I get parts? (local dealer says most parts are discontinued). Any estimate on what they would run? I am a diesel tech by trade and the owner has a Honda tech manual so I wouild like to tear into it myself. Any advise?

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I would guess it needs a top end re-build, but I don't work on Hondas so I can't be of any real help. Good luck with it and welcome from Daytona Beach.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil to see if it might free up stuck rings, change the oil after it sits for a good while and take it out and run the heck out of it before tearing into it. Run it up to speed and downshift several gears, looking for a white cloud, would indicate hardened valve seals. These old Japanese bikes run nicely on Rotella T oil. It's got all the good stuff in it for the hardened parts and is a lot cheaper than motorcycle oil. Places like Parts Shark, Bikebandit are a good source of parts availability under OEM Parts. Z1 Enterprises is also a good source of some parts and gaskets.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My guess is at least a ring job and maybe more in the top end. I suspect Eye has hit the nail on the head. Once you have the engine apart enough to do a ring job why not finish it out and do the rest of the seals?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts