Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I picked up a 82' cb650 from a friend for 200$ it runs amazing and it's a great bike to learn how to ride on.. the only problem is It wont charge.

First I tested the stator and regulator and the reg was shot, I replaced that through electrosport and my voltage on the battery at 5000rpm went from 12(not charging) to 14.1(clymer says it should be 14.8). I thought all was well and after about 100 miles it died on me and I had a nice long walk home with it.

Now the regulator AND stator are both testing bad so this week I will be taking the stator and the rotor and inspecting the rotor. My main question is...

What could cause the regulator to go bad so quickly? I will also check all the wires and grounds this week but I am not an expert on electrical or mechanical so it could be a slow process and money is a little tight, so hopefully its a quick cheap and easy fix haha.

any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Independent M/C Shop
132 Posts
It may have very well been coincidence that both components failed at the same time. The new regulator may have been faulty and that can occur with new replacement parts (thankfully not very often). If you had the voltage regulator installed at an authorized Honda Dealer, it may be covered under warranty (just the part not the labor). If you replaced it yourself, you'll just have to eat it. One thing to check before you throw away your voltage regulator is to see if it was well grounded. If it wasn't, that could keep it from working and could contribute to it overheating and frying itself. Can't help you with the stator (if you know that it's really shot to Hell). Stators are something that almost never die, but if they do, there is nothing you can do but replace it with a new one. I wouldn't normally recommend this when it comes to electrical components, but since stators are reasonably reliable (most of them last the life of the bike and are still good when the bike is finally junked), and since they are easy to test to see if they are still good, you might consider checking with a motorcycle salvage yard and probably save more than half the cost of a new stator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright guys, here is an update. I replaced my rotor and regulator got the bike together started it up and it ran great, checked the battery and it read 14.8 with my brights on. At this point i was extremely excited so i took it around the block a few times. When I pulled into my driveway got off the bike.. the thing turned off. I tried the key couldn't get it to turn on so I checked the main fuse and it was looking really corroded and when i touched it the thing **** near disintegrated. My new question is:

If the main fuse was corroded and it started to receive the proper voltage could that cause it to blow? Have any of you blown the main fuse? if so what was the cause/solution.

Thanks again guys

·
Special Member
669 Posts
I think the fuse just died of old age -- corrosion and vibration. The properly working charging system was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd just replace it (as well as the fuse holder if the existing one looks at all dodgy) and ride without too much worry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts