Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike about 3-4 weeks ago, test rode it, ran fine the first day I had it. Tried to start it again the next day and it wouldn't start.
Didn't have time to tinker with it until a few days ago. Would not start no matter what for awhile but it was sounding like it would. Found out it was flooded, cleaned the spark plugs, all except one was drenched. Cranked the engine without plug in it for a bit to get the access gas out and put the plugs in, firing orders correct and gaps are correct. All plugs have good spark.
Took the carbs out and cleaned them as best as I could and put them back in. Now it fires up and kind of idles but as soon as I take my hand off probably 1/10 throttle it'll die and as soon as I go above 2/5 it also dies. It also seems to be spitting out of the exhaust It's back and sooty but thin and doesn't smell like oil so I'm assuming it's unburned fuel because it also backfires while idling but I'm not an expert. It's also about an avg of 40°f where I am when in working on it so idk if it could just be very cold or what. Also found out that the owner before me had ripped the choke clear off so the doors are stuck open all the time.
Any help would be good. I have a video of it

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,264 Posts
First thing you need to do is fix the choke. Hondas are cold natured.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts