Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 81 Twinstar to go to and from work. I am currently have the issue where if I hit the throttle somewhat hard, it will immediately bog out. If I just accelerate gradually it is fine. After I cleaned out the carb I noticed the pilot screw was tightened all the way, I backed it out a half turn. This is when the bogging problem started. It also idles high after it heats up a bit. But too low when I start it cold with the choke on. I have sprayed carb cleaner on the boot while idling and it does rev up, would this have anything to do with the bike bogging out?

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
If it worked fine before you adjusted that screw try going back to the setting it was at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, should have clarified. Before it wouldn't idle at all it would just die unless i held the throttle. Now it idles but starts racing after it warms up and bogs out if I accelerate too fast. I imagine it does have something to do with the pilot screw but I am not sure how many turns to back out of it from the seated position.

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
In one of your other threads I saw you mentioned that the manual said to have to screwed all the way in? If the manual says that, then that should be the setting.

Well the manual states that you should tight the pilot screw all the way down, and when it was it didn't really idle. I could close it up a little bit to see if that made a difference. I guess I am curious if someone knows the right amount of turns/quarter turns to back out the pilot screw and whether or not the obvious leak in the carb boot would be enough of a problem to cause the high idle or the bogging (feels like it is flooding while riding)

I'll let someone else answer about that higher rev when you spray carb cleaner on the boot. That could possibly be the problem, but I am not sure.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry that was a mistype, I clarified right after that it said not to tighten the screw all the way down. Appreciate all the help I can get so thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts