Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
81' KZ750 LTD.

Started mostly factory with the exception of the airbox. They are very cumbersome and heavy so i wanted to do some work on it to get back to my fabrication background. I planned out everything and started ordering parts. The "Final" configuration includes 2006 R1 forks, trippels, and wheels, as well as the 2006 R1 swingarm and Canti-lever rear suspension. Rear 180 tire, front 130, and fabbed up a subframe. Had to go with a 5/8 total offset for the sprockets to give the clearance for the much wider rear tire. The factory rake andgle is only 2* more than a Factory 2006 R1 which should not effect the handling in a negative way at usable speeds in the corners.. with the rear swing arm mounted it is only 2" longer wheelbase then that year R1 as well, it just looks considerably stretched because of the subrfame which is roughly 11" shorter than the original. Not quite done but getting close. I know its not everyone's style, however this was done mostly for weight savings to give this bike a fun feel.

Attachments

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Looks great! There's a lot going on there. I like the frame mods at the back, the rear hoop and all.

I like that stance - seems to work really well for your bike!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Does she run presently?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just started her for the first time since the overhaul yesterday. still have to finish the exhaust and a few things.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Is that some type of expanded metal you have for the side covers?

I know zip about these bikes, or what makes them handle good or bad, or what can be mated to who, but I enjoyed looking at your fabricating skills so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you.

It is standard 20 gauge perforated steel. its commonly used to make race baffles on motorcycle exhaust. i figure it looks better than a big ugly battery box.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Very cool, it's a total transformation from the original. I bet you can't wait to try it out!

·
Registered
562 Posts
looks good but i'd be worried about the oil level with such an aggressive forward stance. oh well what's done is done. i had a 80 ltd750 as my first bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately i wont be able to ride due to an old injury. kinda sucks but my shoulder wont let me ride yet.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
wild change for an old girl...
Friend of mine had one of those back in the day.
It was so quick from the start that all the honda's just folded.
up against the stops, it wasn't all it was cut out to be, I think it was the horsepower short that really turned me off. It sure was geared right for jump starts though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys.

-85Dirty, that is just in the picture, she is actually very level once the adjustable wishbone was added in. thanks for the heads up though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts