Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Im riding down the road and the bike starts acting sluggish. I pull in the clutch and rev it up and as soon as I let off the throttle it dies. I get it to a shop and they tell me the battery is dead. I put a new battery in and it still wont start. When you hit the starter button, it just clicks. Roll it down a hill and pop the clutch and it runs fine, just wont start when you turn it off. So, any suggestions? We are thinking solenoid, starter, wire between the battery and the starter, etc etc. Also, cant see the starter itself. Any ideas where the starter may be? Thanks!:frown:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Did you charge the battery before installing it? (Most motorcycle batteries require that they be charged at about 1 amp for 8-12 hours before using)

·
American Legion Rider
20,039 Posts
It's not unheard of to have a bad battery from the start. It does happen. But check and clean all contacts and tighten well the battery cables.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I would start by testing and charging the battery. It would be a great idea to test the motorcycle's charging system as well while you are at it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. update. slow charged battery all night. the bike started with the leads still attached. drove about 3 miles to get gas and wouldn't start with popping the clutch.:mad:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
not likely...

now you say it was running great then started to act sluggish, like the battery going dead.

Then it just would not start at all, even with a new battery in it?
So you are asking what is wrong? it could be lots, but lets hope its not!
The alternator system charges the battery, and if the shop said the battery was dead, then the alternator probably was not putting out a charge. they sold you a new one, the battery is probably good. so lets look at this like a bad charging system. you will need to get a manual... yay yay,,,,k?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. New developments. Took it to Advance auto and they tested the battery. 12.8. So, I am assuming that the charging system is working. Now we are thinking something starter related. Maybe the starter switch, maybe the starter itself, maybe just a bad wire from the battery to the starter. What say YE?:p

·
American Legion Rider
20,039 Posts
I hate electrical problems so almost always bow out. But I'll take a wild guess. Maybe a starter relay failure. The real electrical guys will be chiming in soon as they get off work though so stay tuned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hate electrical problems so almost always bow out. But I'll take a wild guess. Maybe a starter relay failure. The real electrical guys will be chiming in soon as they get off work though so stay tuned.
Im not hearing any chimes!!! Come on peeps, someones gotta know something...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts