Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently bought an 81' Kawasaki KZ550 with 2900 original miles on it. I've been doing some cosmetic work on it, and yesterday I was getting ready to take it out for a test ride when BAM all the electric on the bike cut off. I was turning the bike around, walking it, and it happened when I turned the wheel all the way to the right. It was almost as though I had hit a limit switch from turning the bars the entire way, although I know this is impossible, that's what it reminded me of. I had the bike running while turning it around, and all electric cut off. When I turned the key to off, then back to on, nothing lit up.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
You probably blew a fuse, when a damaged wire in the harness made contact with the front of the tank, or other metal part, where it bends around the steering head. Find the burned fuse, and fix the wiring, and it should be good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the advice. I found the blown fuse and replaced it, which gave me back my electric. I guess I need to dig around and find out what the cause was before it happens again.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I guess I need to dig around and find out what the cause was before it happens again.
Yes but don't dig TOO deep....as you might cause more trouble than you fix.

Sometimes fuses just fail for no apparent reason (maybe vibration) and sometimes a filament of a bulb shorting out will even do it.

Check all your lights, check the wiring harness that you can get to easily, especially up around the steering head....... and then carry some spare fuses.

If it goes again, or if you can MAKE it happen again, that's when you need to get serious with finding the cause.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I good at causing more trouble than I fix, unfortunately.

I'm actually having trouble with the turn signals not flashing, that I just posted a new forum about, but this was a problem before the blown fuse incident. I'm guessing they're not related.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts