Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but this is my first bike.... I have a 1981 Honda Twinstar (CM200T). It's small, but until recently has been a sweet ride. I've had it about a year. It used to start up and run like a charm on the first kick. (electric start was disabled by some previous owner). Now it will still usually start on the first kick, but will often die right off the bat. If that happens, I can't get it restarted. I made sure the choke is working, and give it some gas before I kick it. Once it dies, though, it just wont start again no matter what I do. If I wait about 10 minutes, I can usually get it to start again. At first, it would only do this in the mornings when the engine was cold. But last week it left me stranded in the afternoon of a very warm day.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but pretty handy with tools. I'm going to replace the spark plugs (they were pretty black), and the air filter was missing completely from the air cleaner (!).

Other than that, any ideas on what's causing this problem?
I appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a bit of a backyard mechanic and first thing I thought of when I read your post was fuel. The black plugs point to this as well, I think.
Replace the air cleaner!!!!
Try some carb cleaner and see if that helps. But it sounds to me like you are going to have to do some carburetor work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. If it's a too-rich fuel mixture, how would I take care of that? This is all new to me, but I'm willing to give it a go. :)

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
There are a few things that can cause the mixture to be too rich:
1) Incorrect float level(s)
2) Stuck float valve(s)
3) Air flow obstructed (commonly dirty air filter, mouse nest in air box, etc.)
4) Mal-adjusted mixture settings (if mixture adjustments exist)
5) Obstruction in the exhaust pipes
6) Jets wrong size

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll work on it.

I pulled off the seat, to remove the tank so I could repaint it, and found another possible contribution to the problem. The intake tube for the air cleaner was half covered with electrical tape. LOL Not sure what the previous owner was doing there..... So, we'll clean it all up, put it back together and see how it works. Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts