Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having some problems with my bike starting. It is almost impossible to start without using some ether, however after it's warm it's much easier to start. Also once it's running it will run all day and run great. I'm at wits end, I've cleaned the carbs checked to be sure it's getting fuel.. It is. I've tried starting it with the petcock on "prime" it doesn't help. There is a spark to all four cylinders. I have noticed though that when it's running the middle two cylinders (2&3) the headers get a lot hotter than the outside two. I don't know it that matters but thought I'd throw it out there. I just bought this bike to ride to class but it's so unreliable about starting that I can't even ride it there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes my valves are in spec and i bought a new filter, it doesn't seem to be helping. I have noticed that if i put it on prime and let it sit for a while like that it seems to start a little easier though

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have a 1981 (1000L). These bikes are cold natured. If you live up north, try keeping it in the garage on a battery tender. You do use the choke in the front, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts