Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 750 and road it up from out of state. The trip back home went pretty smoothly but there were a couple of bumps along the way.
To start off, the tank has a few rust spots but I'm thinking of replacing it anyhow. And the carbs need cleaned and possibly synced as well.
The guy I bought it from had started on a cafe build and while I'd love that I think it's closer to a brat build and I love that much more. What he had done was make his own seat, including the rear bar the bike didn't have before, and installed clubman bars. While I like the clubman bars, I'm pretty open to suggestions on an alternative to them that keeps it sleek but not reaching as far forward and downward. I'm a short little guy.
Now to what happened on my way back from buying it. The aftermarket brake/tail light and license plate frame fell off mid ride and caught on the rear tire ripping the wires all apart from one another.
All the wire ends are entact still but since then no matter how I plug them in (according to wire diagrams as well) the light hasn't functioned correct since. Determined by which wires go where, it will either stay lit bright as if I'm braking the whole time, or dim like I never tough my brakes at all. But no matter what, it never switches while I brake.
I'm hoping it's just the light and I'll be able to just replace it and the problem will be fixed.
What are the odds that will be how lucky I am?

And a little about me, this Honda will be my second bike. My first was a gsxf 600 that I had to replace the clutch cable, needed carb work, and whatever else I can't remember. A smart driver ran a yield this past October and totaled it. Nothing broken on me, but I sure felt it for weeks, and still some now.. But I can't wait to get back out there

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There is a huge variety of bar shapes available that will work for changing where the grips are.

The wires for the light should be tested with a voltmeter to be sure which is which before hooking up the bulb. There are just two elements for the tail light, so process of elimination shouldn't take long.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
First I must say I hate electrical problems. I will say it again I hate electrical problems. That said, I agree with the above comment. In these type of situations the wire may be intact(coating) but be broken inside from the stretch. It took me a while to troubleshoot a problem I never thought was the wires since they looked fine. They stretched over the years and partially broke inside.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome!

If I were you I would check what's simple first. Grab 2 wires, connect them to your battery and test the bulb! You should have one ground conn and other 2. Check if both work.

If the bulb is ok, it might be the brake switch. There is one at the front brake handle and one on at the rear brake pedal. They can be replaced without any special tools and they cost like nothing.

Also would worth checking the cables. You would need a multimeter for that or a wire continuity checker tool.

I honestly hope you won't need to change any wires.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts