Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have wanted to get involved in biking for a while, but it looks like this summer may be my first real opportunity because I will actually have a little extra money.

My question is this:Is it legitimate to want to get a decent cruiser/standard style bike from the 80's (sucha as a kz750, gs550-750, shadow, etc.) for under $1000? I see postings on craigslist for around 800-1000, but can I expect to find anything good in this price range? This is really all I can afford right now, but I am hoping it is enough. Any replies or thoughts are appreicated. Thanks.

-Jpieps

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Anything is possible, you might get lucky.

Well cared for mint condition classics usually go for more.

Expect anything under $1000 to have some problems. If you know what to look for and do enough looking and footwork, you might find a bargain. Then again, if it sounds to good to be true, it likely is. Caveat emptor.

·
Master of Rex Kwon Do
1,058 Posts

·
Master of Rex Kwon Do
1,058 Posts

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
I got my first bike, a 84 Honda Shadow VT700 for 1300. Had a leaky fuel tank, and bald tires. But on the plus the previous owner installed a fuel pump, so when the switch was flipped to "ON" it would send fuel to the engine, completely disabling the need for the choke. Came in real handy during the cold starts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts