Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, love my twinstar. Used every day for many years. Over the past two weeks or so I started noticing my clutch getting slightly stiffer each day. Then I notice that the bike is trying to pull forward a bit at a red light. I pull over and adjust the cable a bit and I tell you to pull it all the way back to completely disengage is hard as a rock! I had huge painful blisters when I got home. So to try to fix I have done the following

removed cable and lubricated it. It slid freely when unhooked and is routed according to factory with no sharp angles

I then did a full oil change and put the proper 10w 40 oil in.

While these had extremely minor improvements, I'm still left unable to ride due to the stiff clutch. Any ideas?

clutch does not slip and fully engages, friction point is passed half way let out and fully engages about 3/4 out yet still requires a full to the grip pull to go to neutral. Also the little lever the cable attaches to is all but impossible to move by hand.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Is there a way to lubricate the mechanism the cable pulls, and converts that motion to the clutch lifter? From the parts drawings, it appears that it could be splashed with engine oil on the inside of the cover, but you could try getting some kind of lubrication around the shaft. Or, perhaps carefully lay the bike in its right side, so oil floods that side cover, and work the clutch to get oil onto that shaft. Also, make sure to lubricate the pivot the hand lever turns on.

Worst case scenario, take the right engine cover off and take the lever assembly apart, looking for galling of the aluminum to the steel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a really good idea. I did take a bit of oil to the outside lever on top of the cover and work the clutch which did seem to be the most improvement I felt. Laying the bike to the side to get some of that fresh oil on the inside is an excellent idea. From everything I read on these wet clutches it sounds like the issue would have to be somewhere between the clutch assembly and the shift lever. Ie. the cable is sticking or lever. The springs don't get stiffer over time for example. I will try these techniques and report back the results. Thank you a lot for taking the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure this may be a stupid question, but does the right side cover seal oil behind it? I've been a little aprehensive to remove it because I wasn't sure if it would release all the oil into the driveway. Would I need to drain the oil before removing?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'm sure this may be a stupid question, but does the right side cover seal oil behind it? I've been a little aprehensive to remove it because I wasn't sure if it would release all the oil into the driveway. Would I need to drain the oil before removing?
Yes. You will need to drain the oil before opening the clutch cover. Keep a pan under the cover when you open it, because some oil will likely drip out when the cover is removed even if it is drained first.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You may also have to remove a few other parts to be able to scrape the old gasket off completely. I just changed the clutch in a Nighthawk and had to remove the exhaust, foot peg, and brake lever to get the tool at a proper angle for the gasket.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Just hope the tilt trick helps, and you don't have to remove that cover - one less thing to develop a leak that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts