Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, this is my first bike and first problem. This bike looks like it just rolled out of the factory! I've not even gotten to ride it yet, though I'm licensed and insured, etc....

It's leaking gas from a tube at the bottom of the carb. The bike sat since last December. I think maybe a stuck float, and this tube leaks the gas to the street, instead of filling up the cylinder? What to do? THX!:smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
That sounds like a stuck float. You can try tapping the body of the carb with a screwdriver handle to see if it comes loose. If that doesn't work, the carb will have to be at least partially disassembled to free the float.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the drain line for emptying the gas when putting it in storage. There should be a screw at the base of the carb that you can tighten up, that should stop the drain.
I'm getting my CB125S back in action again, can you do me a favor and measure the voltage across your battery while it's running? I'm getting about 8.5V, I want to make sure that's ok. I need to buy a headlight and I don't want to blow it out by putting too much voltage on it.
Does anybody know a good source for the headlight? It's a sealed beam 6V Stanley 6-7120.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I got a new carb for $18 delivered! Chinese, I'm sure. I put it on and it seems to work fine. I'm not sure if it's adjusted correctly. I set the two screws to the same settings as the Jap carb.

At higher rpms the engine seems to break down and stumble, so I just upshift. Carb adjustment issues? It seems like timing issues, but I don't know, as I've never run this bike before. That problem may be old. Valve adjustment? Any Idea?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found this on another site, seemed interesting. For this guy it turned out it was a 3/8ths socket stuck in the snorkel.

Here are a few more things that may be causing your problem.

IC igniter trouble (can cause multiple problems through out rev range. used ones as replacements may have similar or worse results. An aftermarket replacement is a good alternative)
Crankshaft sensor trouble (may explain erratic tach. Also a bad or loose tach connections)
Ignition coil trouble (coil output can degrade at higher rpms)
Fuel level in carburetor float bowl too high or too low (too low of fuel in the bowls can't keep up with WOT demand)

Air cleaner duct poorly sealed
Water or foreign matter in fuel (water is heavier than gas, will settle to bottom of tank and fuel bowls)
Fuel to carburetor insufficient (slides not lifting all the way at WOT)
Fuel tank air vent obstructed(tank should make a whistle/whining noise due to gas vapor expansion when full of fuel, especially if it's hot)

At 9k the stock Ninja can become really rich. A little extra air helps this area. It is not uncommon for the bike to rich bog and take a little longer getting past this range if already in 6th gear. Going past it in 5th is better. Also keep in mind Altitude, temp, and humidity play large roles affecting engine performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts