Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, have some Goldwing questions
Im working on a 79 Wing presently, was able to get it running after replacing battery (gel cell), solenoid and general cleaning of carbs. Yesterday6 I started her, synced the carbs and then shut her off. Today I went to start, nothing happens when I push the start button, however, when I pulled the clutch in, she started trying to start! What the heck could be causing this?

Literally she turned over, engaged starter and wanted to start the bike. Just by pulling in the clutch lever. Did NOT do this at any point in the past 3 weeks while I was replacing and cleaning. Any ideas?

I also have a 76 Wing, which I rode until finding my 86 Cavalcade. the 76 Wing pretty much sat, properly protected, until this year, so was sitting approx. 5 years. I have a Dyna ignition, Dyna coils and rebuilt the carbs when I restored her about 7 years ago. I have so far replaced the battery (gel cell), solenoid, regulator/rectifier in front of the battery, yet get no power whatsoever. Grounds have been checked, have new 30 amp fuse which replaced the wishbone fuse behind the battery. But I dont get any power, no lights, no ignition, nothing. What should I look for? she did run when I put her away, did have an issue where she would lose power to cylinder 1 when warm, which made her sputter and lose power, ie ran rough. When I tried to start her last year, the power turned on, but when I hit the ignition switch, I heard a loud bang, seemed to come from right side, then power went out. unfortunately, divorce and moving caused me to not be able to diagnose until now, as I am trying to get her roadworthy for my son to ride. Please help, would love to get this baby in the wind again...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I would try the ign switch itself. You probably do not have to replace the entire switch, but just the contact area on the back of the key lock cylinder.

The contact areas do wear out on these things and also can corrode after sitting. The early 70's key group was heavier built than the later ones.

My switch was pretty bad for a year and was not passing enough current for the starter button to work. Also, the bike was running rough for the same reason. An Emgo switch repair kit solved those problems

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
I'm guessing that the starter button is stuck in the "on" position, but the clutch safety switch won't let it start. When you pull in the clutch lever, the safety switch lets the starter engage. Just a guess....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts