Motorcycle Forum banner

78 yamaha 650 special issues

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  choober 
#1 ·
My 78 yamaha 650 special has been acting up lately. I recently brought it back to life and it was running really good, then it started running on basically one cylinder. I think I didnt get the rust that was in the gas tank out good enough. Anyways, it was basically running on one cylinder and occasionally when riding it the other one would kick in but only for like one second at a time. It would make a "pop" sound and the bike would get a lot more power, but just for a second, then go back to being really weak. (one time the other cylinder powered up and it rode normally, but this only happened once.) Last time I tried to drive it, it made the pop sound and the side of the engine with the bad cylinder started making a really loud squealing or squeeking sound and it didnt sound too good. It started a few more times after that, the bad cylinder never came back in, and now a few days later I cant get it to start at all. I know it probably really needs the carbs cleaned, as they are probably clogged up with rust, but what could be making that squealing sound? I'm kind of worried...

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.