Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 Honda Twinstar CM185t and anyone whose tried to find a throttle cable for this bike or similar knows that its damn near impossible. However! I found a solution via my local motorcycle shop guy. He provided me with the information that a suitable replacement throttle cable for that bike comes off of a Kawasaki Z1. (ebay search it. You'll find it easy) These cables are much easier to find and work just as well. But there is a catch....To use that particular cable, a few minor modifications have to be done. For one, the end bit that fits in the throttle slide in the carb needs to be ground down to the same size as the stock. I used my old one as reference and taped around the cable below it as to prevent damage to the cable from the dremel I was using. Secondly, the threaded part above the end that goes into the carb needs to be trimmed back a bit VERY CAREFULLY. Again I used tape to cover the cable and used a cutting wheel to cut off about half an inch of the thread. That's pretty much all you need to do to have a brand new near oem throttle cable. Hope this helps any of those in need!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting but you could have went to any indepedent bike shop and they would have been able to make you one. Trust me I know because I happen to make cables for all the old Japanese bikes. That is if I don't have it in stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts