Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently cleaned and resealed my carbs. The rebuild kit didn't come with the main jet o rings, so I picked some up at a hardware store. I'm assuming they are for plumbing. I also replaced the stock air filters with the pod style ones, and thus upped the main jet size as well. Now my bike runs just fine, except every once in a while will kill. Usually it starts right back up, but sometimes it will not, unless I let it sit for a while, almost as if it's flooded. Or it will start back up but only run for a minute, and only with the carb fully choked. I've been thinking it's the hardware store o rings causing the engine to flood, but I want to be sure before spending the time and money rebuilding them again. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you possibly talking about the float needle and seat? I'm not familiar with your bike but I wouldn't have thought there would be O rings on or around the main jet. At any rate, I wouldn't use hardware store O rings on anything that comes in contact with gas. They aren't made for that kind of service.

You shouldn't have to rebuild again, just get the right O rings.

·
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
501 Posts
Yeah OE is right, unless the o-rings are specifically designed to be used in direct contact with gas they will fail quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts