Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this forum. 78 Honda CB750F, bought it really cheap, engine locked. Its had Marvel in it over the winter. How should I try to break this old girl free? If i need to open it up to get it spinning I will but rather not if I don't have to. Dave

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Get the rear wheel up off the ground and stable like that, remove the spark plugs if not already removed, try to put the tranny in 3rd or 4th gear, then try to get the rear wheel to rotate. If it isn't locked bad it should be fairly easy to get the wheel to rotate. That really should work. You can also ride it down a steep hill popping the clutch but then you have to get it back up so the first way is much better. That's all I have. If that doesn't work then I guess you'll have to break it down but keep your fingers crossed that it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hog, I'll try your first suggestion. Last night I took the left side cover off (stator cover I think), removed the starter gear and put a 19mm socket (with a nice long cheater) on the crank bolt. Tried to rotate it CC wise and the bolt turned but not the engine. Guess that crank bolt was loosening or (if left hand threaded) tightening. Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.