Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread to cover the rehab of one of the 76 GL's I got recently. This one is set up as a vintage tourer and I see no reason to change that. It starts right now, but runs pretty rough. It's actually in really good shape and will be worth everything the 81 was that I traded for it (plus 2 others!). Lots of new parts, 26K miles (a baby!), newish tires. Lots of good news with this bike! I just found today that both throttle cables were recently replaced. It was last on the road in 2012.

It does start and run, but like I said above, very rough! I pulled the carbs today to take a look at them. Plan is to do the carbs, at least tune the ignition - maybe install a Dyna ignition to replace the points, timing belts, oil change, general clean-up and fix odd things, then probably sell it. There's a lot of potential in this one for a really nice bike!

Carbs are off.

I really like this bike - too bad I like the gearing in my 83 so much more!

Reactions: lonerider70

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm getting into the carbs currently, and clearly I'm not the first person in there.

A PO was cleaning things up a bit here.

But all in all things are in pretty good shape. A lot of the carb parts are pretty new, A PO may have tried to rebuild things a bit, though I'm pretty sure I'm the first one who has done a full disassembly on this.

One mostly done, three to go! As well as some suggest jetting tweaks/fixes.

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Good job

Keep up the good work.
If you get the urge to come out to the left coast, I have a mint 1980 XS1100G Yamaha that has not run for about 15 years, maybe more. Battery shows 5.5 volts.
I remember selling the first black GL1000 to ticker Ted in the 70s. Ticker Ted had a pacemaker and you could here it tick. What a revolutionary bike when it first came out. Less than 10 years from vibrating British junk.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well .... It didn't take you long to get buried in another GL project !!!! :biggrin:

Looking forward to how this one turns out! I'm sure it will turn out as well as your previous projects! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If I wasn't hopelessly buried in major home renovations for the next year I would probably be buried in a bike or car project myself! Sometimes home ownership sucks!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Painfully slow progress so far.. The carbs are apart and I'm cleaning them up. I cleaned up and polished the carb tops Friday night - polish the slides and CV tops until things are buttery smooth.

The more I work on this bike the more I like it. I need to purge some stuff from my shop and do some serious rearranging. I had intended to flip this bike quickly, and may still, but I may end up keeping it.

:eek:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Ha! My Shop was built and then expanded two more times. Guess it's time to do some major housing cleaning cause it has somehow got too small once again. Only this time expansion is out of the question. Got the room. Just don't have the funds.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ha! My Shop was built and then expanded two more times. Guess it's time to do some major housing cleaning cause it has somehow got too small once again. Only this time expansion is out of the question. Got the room. Just don't have the funds.:thumbsdown:
Been there, Done that! :biggrin:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 carbs down, 2 to go!

Need to make some room in this shop!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4 Carbs, cleaned and ready. Bench sync looked pretty good.

Next up, I need to reinstall these and pull the points plate.

Reactions: lonerider70

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Looking good

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carbs are back on, and after I did a really rough adjustment of the points it starts right up. Runs pretty rough still, but that's a mix of badly needing a proper points adjustment, oldish gas, and a charging system issue.

These old Goldwings can melt a plastic connector, where the stator and regulator wires run through, which disables the charging system. The fix is to simply cut this out and solder the wires together, which hopefully will take care of that issue.

Definitely better than before - one set of points was waaaaay out.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I'll tell you what. If you was closer I'd try talking you out of that bike when you finish with it. But I'd put a batwing on it though. But I know nothing about the inner workings so I'd have to lean on you for things that need occasional adjustments or replacements. I've just always wanted a Goldwing where the fairing didn't hit my knees.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Soldered the charging system wires together today, and cleaned up some grounds. Some new(er) cleaned up points and more timing work, and it starts and runs better now. It even mostly idles. The RPMs still float a bit - need to look for vacuum leaks, and it needs a sync and valve adjustment badly. But, it's getting there!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No progress lately.. Working g on parting out one of its brothers and moving it out of the shop. Plan is to move this n e after so I can go through it later this Winter. Getting ready for the long cold freeze.

On the up side, the 83 is running great!!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts