Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new rear brake caliper and pads and new master cylinder on my bike. I have terrible brakes on rear now. My front brakes really bite great and thats about all I use.I really have to push the brake petal very HARD to make brake light come on. Are there any suggestions about what I might need to check on to improve the brakes? Thanks BN

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
I put a new rear brake caliper and pads and new master cylinder on my bike. I have terrible brakes on rear now. My front brakes really bite great and thats about all I use.I really have to push the brake petal very HARD to make brake light come on. Are there any suggestions about what I might need to check on to improve the brakes? Thanks BN
I assume you bled the system but since you did a new master cylinder did you bleed that before you hooked up the lines? Usually issues like this are air related

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I felt my brakes pump up as I pump them today. This concerns me. Ive heard that mean air inline and needs bleeding. I ran threw a whole bottle of brake fluid putting the new caliper and MS on it, including bleeding several times. I waited two days to see if the bubbles ,if any, would come up and bleed out.I didn't see any The brake petal finally firmed up but I must have missed something. I'm going to try vacuuming the fluid threw the system and see what I can see. Thanks for your help. BN

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
In general, master cylinders can be quite difficult to bleed. You might want to try holding the brake pedal down with something overnight. Sometimes that will work the air out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In general, master cylinders can be quite difficult to bleed. You might want to try holding the brake pedal down with something overnight. Sometimes that will work the air out.
Ill go out there and put a clamp on it right now and see if that works or helps. Sounds easy enough. Thanks

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, it's one of those low effort things that sometimes works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it working better It feels like. I held brake petal down for 2 days with a clamp, and it pumped up quick after that. I also re-bled a couple times then took a large syringe and squirted fluid in from the bleed screw and watched the MC fill up. I also used my mite-vac pump and pulled the fluid threw the bleed screw keeping the MC topped off. Something worked out of the bunch and I thank you guys again. I love these good forums. Thanks B Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts