Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STURGIS, S.D. -

Two more rally goers were killed Friday, pushing the death toll to 12, surpassing the record set in 1990 during the 50th anniversary gathering. That's when 11 bikers were killed.

The 11th death was about 10 a.m. Friday at the intersection of Sturgis Road and Stage Stop Road in Summerset.

Douglas Kellar, 56 of Adams, N.Y., tried to avoid a car turning in front of him onto Sturgis Road. He was thrown from his bike and hit the car. Margaret Rand, 65 of Parker, S.D., was cited for failure to yield.

The 12th death was about 9 p.m. on SD 244, five miles west of Mount Rushmore.

A motorcycle rider lost control of his bike on a gradual curve, went off the road and hit a rock outcropping. His name is being withheld pending notification of his family.
More HERE

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Add one more for a total of thirteen...

More Here

Some other numbers from this years rally:

220 DUI arrests
203 misdemeanor drug arrests
99 felony drug arrests
over $28,000 cash seized
1,501 citations were issued
4,557 warnings.
152 Injury accidents (69 last year)
13 people died (3 times more than 2014)

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Aside from my distaste for crowds, I could never go to Sturgis anyway. You can be the safest rider there, but you're still left to the mercy of the large crowd around you, be they drunk or high bikers, impatient local cagers, distracted tourist, or what have you. Just not my thing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Talked to my friend today. He said it was miserable this year at Sturgis just to many people. He had a much better time last year. On the bright side he got a hell of a deal on a 2015 Road Glide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts