Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to forums and new to motorcycles. I just bought a 1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, and after a bit of riding I'm noticing it won't shift to first gear unless I'm going 15 mph or slower. Is this normal? Any suggestions for a fix?

M

·
0 Posts
On my v star if I down shift too fast and try and go into a low gear while still traveling at a fairly good speed it will “clunk” into gear

Not sure that I’ve ever tried going into first above 15mph

Is this a new symptom for the bike or is it something it has always done? Is your oil good?

I’m curious what some of the experts on the forum will have to say, but If the bike is otherwise running and shifting fine, I would be inclined to think it’s normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually when I'm coming to stop sign or stoplight, and I know I'll need to stop. I'm fine to ride the way it is. I'm more curious if there's something mechanically wrong that points to a future problem. Or how other riders downshift when they are coming to a known stop.

M

·
0 Posts
I usually downshift and use the engine to brake at first

Then drop down into 2 and then 1 right as I am stopping while using the brakes to stop me the rest of the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Visionary
2,930 Posts
Sounds perfectly normal to me. You could probably get it to go into first faster by increasing engine rpm but there really is no point. Just wait till your almost stopped to go 2-1 and no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts