Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a custom build with chopped wiring harness....my rectifier smoked and got hot after 30 min. of riding, it eventually blew a fuse, popped in a new fuse...it popped with in 30 sec....? Even when I unplugged all the wires from the alt.~voltage reg.~and rectifier..it still is charging the battery with volt meter when running?! I dont get it...any help here is appreciated! Andy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I would check for a solid battery ground as a first step. My best guess is that there is a severe short in the charging circuit. Checking that out should be the next step.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I would check for a solid battery ground as a first step. My best guess is that there is a severe short in the charging circuit. Checking that out should be the next step.
Hey Dodsfall, just sent you an urgent PM , not related to this thread. Thanks Ed

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Since the bike is custom, you might want to dig into bike electrical circuits, more in-depth. For that, I'd recommend this book, either from Amazon, or your local library: Motorcycle Electrical Systems: Troubleshooting and Repair. It will not only explain how the electric circuits work, but how to test them, as well as how to make some of the simpler tools needed. Great resource if you are not good with electric circuits. It will discuss, and explain, Ground connections, load issues, etc.

By the way, it sounds like your Rectifier/Regulator is burned out. Start with the book I listed, then see if you can get the OEM Maintenance Manual for the bike the Regulator/Rectifer came out of, to look at recommended troubleshooting steps. Cheers!
:coffee:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts