Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice... Do I look for a new tank as a replacement, or is there a tank conditioning product worth trying?

·
Six-String Jockey
1,858 Posts
Well, the obvious question is: How rusty is it? Light rust? Quite a bit of rust? So much rust that it makes you want to lay down and wretch? Inside only? Outside? :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the obvious question is: How rusty is it? Light rust? Quite a bit of rust? So much rust that it makes you want to lay down and wretch? Inside only? Outside? :confused:

Yep, I wanna wretch!
This bike sat for years, I bought it and cleaned the carbs and it ran perfectly; 85 mph without a hiccup. After 2k miles, the "protective" resin/goo residue has come clean from the tank interior. The tank was always in bad shape, I suppose I was riding on borrowed time. The tank interior is RUSTY! Wipe a finger inside and it comes out covered in rust powder. The fuel petcock has a debris bowl; it had a teaspoon of rust grit.
The exterior is pretty good, sun fade and only a few shallow dents.
I've you-tubed a few vids, they suggest apple cider vinegar soak, which I'm trying now.

·
Six-String Jockey
1,858 Posts
Also, go buy a big bottle of BBs and pour them in the tank and shake them around for 20 minutes or so. They really knock loose the rust. Then just clean all the BBs out and rinse the tank really well. You do have an in-line fuel filter don't you?

P.S. Some of the very last BBs you might have to remove with a telescoping magnet. :icon_mad:

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I always used drywall screws and turpentine. The sharp points and edges on the screws rip the rust from the tank and the turpentine suspends it to pour it out. Final cleaning with denatured alcohol. I would always coat the tank after it was dry. Don't get any of the turpentine on the tank if you are not going to paint it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good, the cider vinegar did an amazing job. Thanks for the help. Look for questions about fork seals soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts