Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, the cap for my run switch is gone. It has the contacts necessary to make the bike run, and I can't find a GOOD replacement for it. I tried picking up the entire right hand switch assembly at a junkyard, but the wiring is all different, and the run switch cap on the "new" assembly broke off. Don't ask how :D

Anyhow, I looked at a wiring diagram (I can't post links yet, just Google Image search "Xl250 wiring diagram") and tried both hooking the black and white into the green, and simply disconnecting the black and white. Any help you guys can offer would be most appreciated. My major concern at the moment is getting the blasted thing running and registered, so that I can learn how to ride a bike without having to fall down on my arse when the Utah winter sets in (although I intend to keep on riding all winter, except for some of the nastier days). That being said, even if I were to temporarily put a little toggle switch in there, I'm fine with that for now. I can replace it with an original when I start restoring the bike in a couple years from now. (or so the plan goes).

This is probably pretty standard across most motorcycles, but I should mention that is not a kill button that grounds the engine out, it is referred to as a run switch. I'd mightily "appershiate" any help you fine folks can give.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I should also add that the brakelight will come on, as will the "dash" light. But no turn or headlights. Horn wants to honk ever so badly (the battery isn't fully charged. That isn't possibly the problem is it? As far as I know, the battery only has to have "a" charge for the alternator/generator to do its thing) and that's about all that I've noticed electrically speaking. I think I'll go set the charger on it, just for fun.

·
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
501 Posts
Oh, and I should also add that the brakelight will come on, as will the "dash" light. But no turn or headlights. Horn wants to honk ever so badly (the battery isn't fully charged. That isn't possibly the problem is it? As far as I know, the battery only has to have "a" charge for the alternator/generator to do its thing) and that's about all that I've noticed electrically speaking. I think I'll go set the charger on it, just for fun.
Is it kick-start or electric start? If it's electric start it takes quite a bit of juice for it to turn over...i.e. if the horn doesn't have enough power to honk then that's probably your problem. If it's kickstart than I'm the wrong person to ask.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts