Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just wonder if I wanted to eliminate the electric starter from my bike what all this would take to do.. And come to find out that the tachometer gears are missing so may go with an auto tach how reliable are they

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
The starter motor turns a chain that wraps around the starter clutch, which is behind the alternator rotor. You will have to take the left engine side cover off and take the chain out, then plug the hole left by the starter motor. Many tachs available, some that connect to a coil, some that just wrap around a spark plug wire. Not having one of the latter, I can't comment on reliability, but the wired kind can be quite reliable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter motor turns a chain that wraps around the starter clutch, which is behind the alternator rotor. You will have to take the left engine side cover off and take the chain out, then plug the hole left by the starter motor. Many tachs available, some that connect to a coil, some that just wrap around a spark plug wire. Not having one of the latter, I can't comment on reliability, but the wired kind can be quite reliable.
I know of the ones that wrap around the spark wire but can you give me a link for the ones that conect to a coil? And when I remove the electric start that whole part of the wire harness gets removed allso , is this correct?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I suppose you don't have to remove the wiring as long as it's wrapped up well and protected from accidentally shorting against something when your start button is pushed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts