Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I'm an engineering student but by not an overly skilled mechanic. I have a 1974 CB360 that I'm fixing up in my basement over the winter. The problem is that the bike will shift without the clutch even being engaged. It will shift down to first, up to neutral,second, and third then not move to fourth-sixth. I took off the left crankcase to look at the shift actuator, everything looked to be in ok shape. I dont know what to do.
I forgot to mention: the bike has sat in my basement for the past 12 years or so, that was the last time it was fired up as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Transmission fluid or clutch cable adjustment, unless it's a hydraulic clutch then fluids dried up or seals gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the shop manual for the cb360 and nowhere does it say that there is transmission fluid of any kinds, which makes me believe that the clutch runs without any kind of fluid

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
The transmission shares the engine oil, and the clutch is bathed in it, too.

So, you're saying that you can shift into the first three gears with the engine running and the clutch lever released? Or, is this with the engine stopped? If the latter, that's normal; shifting depends on the gears being aligned in the transmission and, without rolling the bike or running the engine, it may not shift at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WintrSol: this is with the bike stopped so I guess its not a problem. I just put new oil in the bike a few days ago (it was drained 10 years ago and has not been fired up since). I thought bikes could never shift without compressing the clutch, I guess i was wrong. I can try to fire it up in the next day or two and see if that cures it.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Before you try to put it in gear with the motor running, with the engine off, pull the clutch lever, put it in any gear, and try to roll it. This will tell you if the clutch has stuck while sitting. You DON'T want to find this out with the engine running!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Cars and some motorcycles likie BMW have seperate gear oil from the engine oil; Dry Clutch. Your bike shares transmission/clutch oil with the engine; Wet Clutch.

Motorcycle transmissions shift MUCH easier when they are moving. You can shift the gears by movong the rear wheel with one hand.
Use motorcyle specific oil because car oil has been re-formulated ans may be too slick, causing clutch slippage. Plus, car oils are no longer designed to deal with the stresses a motorcycle engine and transmission puts on the oil.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Plus, car oils are no longer designed to deal with the stresses a motorcycle engine and transmission puts on the oil.
The exception to this seems to be Rotella T6, which is actually made for diesel engines, but has the same shear properties that MC oil requires. I'm told that they have applied the MC rating to this oil, but haven't actually seen it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I heard Rotella has phased out quarts. Yo0u can get the gallons at most auto parts stores like NAPA, AutoZone, and even WalMart if you don't mind shopping at a place that forces manufacturing to go to China. (Pardon my editorial)

I use a blend for the bikes I don't ride much, but I use the rotella in the bike I ride most of the time and after 11K miles, it seems good to go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 7 motorcycles out in the garage and I can shift them all without the clutch. If one won't shift I can just rock it a few inches and go through the gears by hand with no clutch.

There is most likely nothing wrong with your bike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Cars and some motorcycles likie BMW have seperate gear oil from the engine oil; Dry Clutch. Your bike shares transmission/clutch oil with the engine; Wet Clutch.

Motorcycle transmissions shift MUCH easier when they are moving. You can shift the gears by movong the rear wheel with one hand.
Use motorcyle specific oil because car oil has been re-formulated ans may be too slick, causing clutch slippage. Plus, car oils are no longer designed to deal with the stresses a motorcycle engine and transmission puts on the oil.

Yes you can use oil designed for cars in your motorcycle but you need to check the rating and that it does NOT have the energy conserving label on it if you have a wet clutch.
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in mine with no clutch problems at all.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sorry- I was generalizing.
For instance, I called Castrol customer service and they told me why I should stop using regular Castrol- even in my dry clutch BMW.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry- I was generalizing.
For instance, I called Castrol customer service and they told me why I should stop using regular Castrol- even in my dry clutch BMW.
Damn this CRS but I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Castrol does not play well with motorcycles. :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts