Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just registered on this forum because I have a 1973 Honda CB500 that I just rebuilt. I have some knowledge about the bike, but have a question about the clutch. I purchased some new friction disc's. Now on first start up the clutch will not disengage for a while. I have been coasting down the street then shifting it into second. A couple of revs then the clutch disengages then seems to work OK. I have looked at the manual, (Clymer publications) plus on line seem to show the same. These assemblies show something different than what I have. The clutch assembly diagram shows a clutch hub without a flange. Mine has a flange where the friction disc would contact. So my seven friction discs and six clutch plates are sandwiched between the clutch hub flange and the clutch pressure plate. I think when the bike is cold the disengage problem is between the clutch friction disc and the flange on the clutch hub?? Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Clutch adjustment procedures for that engine are often sorely lacking. First, is the ball in the clutch lifter mounted to the left cover/drive chain cover? It's about 1/4" diameter, and without it, you can't get the clutch adjustment to work.
The procedure should start with adjusting the adjuster (large screw head) in that cover, which sets the gap between the lifter and the lifter rod, and sets the lever arm the cable pulls to its best arc; I do this with the cable disconnected at the handle, and set it so you feel the lifter make contact with the ball/rod, then turn it CCW about 1/16". Then connect the cable, and set the free play at the lever.

The first steel plate into the basket has a bevel on the back side, which faces the back of the basket, as your diagram should show. There was a change to the basket design, though, but I think the plate installation is the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts