Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my stock handlebars with clip-on's. to do this, I had to take off the front wheel to bring the forks down so I could slide on the clips.

Went to put the front wheel back on and the brake pads are clenched together. The front brake lever feels spongy, without any tension.

Nothing leaking, I don't think.

Any idea why my front brake is locked up? What do I need to do to open it up?

Cheers, fellas.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Too late now, but next time you have to remove the wheel, slide something between the pads that is about as thick as the rotor, so if the brake lever gets bumped, they won't close.

As to fixing it, it's going to get messy. Attach a drain hose to the bleeder and put the other end in something to catch the fluid. Open the bleeder, and try sliding a putty knife or similarly thin object between the pads, then twist it to push the pad and cylinder back into the caliper. You may need to work both sides to get it moving. The open bleeder should let the fluid escape as the piston goes back in. Of course, now you will need to bleed the system of the air that is now in it. I suggest you turn the bars to the right enough to make the caliper tilt just a bit to the right, so the bleeder is at the high point, and bleed any air out. Once clear at the bleeder, you may still have air in the banjo fitting at the master cylinder. If so, turn the bars left enough to get that fitting lower than the mc, then do the slow pull, hold, then quick release sequence several times, to get any small bubbles back into the mc, and then into the reservoir. Make sure fluid can't drip or spray on anything, as it is corrosive to paint and polished surfaces; have a spray bottle of clean water handy if it does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts