Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help on a electrical problem would be appreciated.

The battery slowly died. Lights and blinkers dimmed and then died.
I replaced the battery and the bike fires up with no problem. Both horn and tail light works. The headlight, blinkers and speedometer lights do not work.

The fuse is good. No loose wires. Looked in the headlight and nothing seems out of wack. All bulbs seem fine and not blow.

Any suggestions??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Remove the headlight and check the resistance over the elements. If memory serves white is common and the blue and green are high and low. You should get some resistance there. Same with the dash lights, but you will have to remove them from the housing. The dash lights you will prolly be able to see with them out, if the element is good or not.

Now say you have all good elements, a 72 will not have always on lights so you have a switch to deal with usually on the right handle bar, it will be labeled “O L H” for “O”ff , “L”ow and “H”igh. Make sure all the wires have continuity when the switch is each position. Try to find a schematic for the bike, Honda usually puts the logic diagram for the switch on their schematics for testing purposes. The last thing to be on the look out for is the good ol patina (ie corrosion) on the bullet connectors inside the headlight bucket. A bath in high strength cleaning vinegar is my go to fix for this. I use a small plastic jar that I put a wire hook on and fill with the vinegar then suspend it so that the wires can stay in the liquid for a few hours. Unplugging them and disconnecting the battery is always best.

Btw the vinegar will remove most rust and other corrosion products, but it takes time. Cooking vinegar works too but it is far more mild and will take longer. If you can completely remove a switch or disassemble it and submerge it in the vinegar that works even better. Sometimes the switches will have some grease inside them, and the vinegar won’t clean that off, you will have to use an electro motive cleaner to get the grease out then the vinegar bath, jut remember to put some dielectric grease back into the inner workings of the switch so that it continues to work properly.
 

·
Visionary
Joined
·
5,302 Posts
Check your fuses, you might have blown one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am only aware of the one fuse in the plastic cylinder in front of the battery. Is there another one??
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top