Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
The answer stands well by itself. Surprised you didn't go there. And I'm not touching the software thing other than to say you are way behind if that is your line officially. Every computer vehicle I have has a shortcoming in it due to incorrect software, if you can't pick up on them that's on you. Many of them are even intentional to force you to go to dealers more.

'Holley what a pile of dribble. Why would you even suggest that is a response to what I posted'

Uh, NOT to you and clearly marked as such but one has to read.....post FIFTY-FIVE.

No insult intended at all but I do stand my ground.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody...........yes, even you.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
288 Posts
Wheeeee.....

S.F. :

I'm troubled by the Repair order ~ it doesn't mention adjusting te valves and that's the FIRST THING before anything else .

Then he talks about working on the contact points and a the very end mentions installing a breakerless ignition system .

Those who are not HONDA Mechanics often (? usually ?) mis time them because HONDA uses the F mark (Firing point) to time the,, the T mark indicates Top dead center so using the 'F' mark means the ignirion is slightly retarded .

I'd check those in that order first ("I can hear the valves
they're fine" means 'I have NO IDEA what I'm doing here') .

Then look at the carbys .

Carbys are always the very last thing a competent Mechanic touches .

These are good sturdy little bikes but not racers in any way .

If you like it, buy it and tune it sharply, slap on some good quality tires & tubes , get it blistering hot and change the oil and open up and clean out the centrifugal oil filter, guaranteed it's packed with grayish crud .

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's what I said : most use the "T" mark and have slightly retarded timing .

Starts easily and runs smooth as butter but gets hot and can fry the top end on the open highway .

·
Ace Tuner
3,736 Posts
I can not speak to performance tuning carburetors that use piston type carburetor slides as I've never had the occasion to do so way back when they were semi-common. I have overhauled, fixed or done make run jobs for bikes that used piston type slides but that was so long ago that I don't remember enough about them to comment on modifying them.

Here is one thing mentioned concerning fuel injection that I can comment on:

"
You don't get that blow-back of fuel from the fuel injected engine version for the fairly obvious reasons, the fuel mist is introduced at an angle away from the intake and well after the throttle body."

I guess It is possible there is a fuel injected Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki model that has injectors "well after the throttle body" but I have yet to come across that (or those) particular model/s.
I know at least semi-current R6, FZ6, R1, FZ1, FJR1300 Yamaha injectors are incorporated IN the throttle body but are located just below (downstream) from the throttle plates.
There are even models that have what are called 'shower injectors' that are located above the throttle plates. I believe Honda CBR600's may have them and maybe a performance Honda V-twin that I think it's model designation was something like R51. Memory is foggy on the Honda's as well as Suzy's and Kawasaki's so I can not be positive about those but I've done a Bunch of fuel injected Yamaha sport bikes. Their fuel rail is behind the throttle body with injectors sandwiched in between the rail and throttle body housing.

BTW. It is called "stand off", not blow back... So is stand off present in an EFI system then? :giggle:

S F

·
Registered
361 Posts
'So is stand off present in an EFI system then?'

Not nearly so much when a true timed EFI is used, but batch fired ones can. Batch firing being TB single or double injectors for several cylinders and true timed being MPFI, one injector per cylinder and past TB. Batch firing by necessity is not timed exactly to a port opening event and similar to normal carb except in more pulsing. They can fire more than once too where MPFI usually looks to fire once per intake event per cylinder.

If you have variable cam timing and somehow the intake cam gets stuck it can stand off some.

Most bikes use true MPFI of course. I had two Ford Tempo cars, one batch and the other true MPFI although both used identical 4 injector manifold for 4 cylinders. The true MPFI was smoother and had a peppiness down low the other did not have with identical everything else but for MAP on one and MAF on the other besides the injection difference.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Here come the cars again :LOL:
I see the problem amc49, I am reading your posts sober, after 6 or 7 beers I'm sure it would all make sense.

"I guess It is possible there is a fuel injected Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki model that has injectors "well after the throttle body" but I have yet to come across that (or those) particular model/s."
um, the Honda fuel injector is bolted into a hole in the cylinder head, closer to the intake valves then the throttle body which has no fuel line connected to it whatsoever. PFI-engine-design-labeled.jpg

·
Ace Tuner
3,736 Posts
"I guess It is possible there is a fuel injected Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki model that has injectors "well after the throttle body" but I have yet to come across that (or those) particular model/s."
um, the Honda fuel injector is bolted into a hole in the cylinder head,
"the" Honda
What model Honda is "the" Honda?

S F

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
the last Honda I had was a TL250.
I had others, but that was the last one I had running. I currently have a CT200, but I am not calling Pushrod the Honda until I get the little guy running. So far I have not found any velocity stacks, turbos or injectors. Just a cable operate small carburetor that needs cleaning.

I never owned a CB350, but sold a bunch, including a pretty blue CL350. I did own a couple of CB400 4 cylinder bikes. One of my most favourite around town bikes. RE Smith bought one. Cops said he was going 120 to 140 mph on it.
I went to court as an expert witness, to tell the judge the bike would not top 95. RE still got a dangerous riding offense.
Which is a criminal offense and goes on your record. Lying cops. I always thought RE would go off the deep end and pop someone. But he died peacefully in the end. He was English and a bit wacky. The CB400 was probably the last Honda he owned. UK

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wow, this thread has gone so far off the rails we'll need a crane to get it back o_O .

Then some strange Rambler Nutter Car Guy comes in bragging : "My bad, I misread there."

Oh, well ! LaDeDa !. SOMEONE can read and didn't drop out of high school, rub my our noses in it why don'tcha :p .

Some years ago I dimply recall a newbie wanting to know if he should buy an old Honda CB350 twin .

Yes, I think so and also : all Hondas from back then used a tuned air box so if you simply slap on a pair of those foam air filters it won't run right, no need to special tune it, just make it stock again, MUCH easier and cheaper n ot to mention faster .

When new these were incredibly popular bikes, Honda dealers had a tough time keeping them in stock .

I hope we didn't scare off the Original Poster .

(BTW : if someone here (no names) has a 1949 Rambler Custom Conveetible like Lois Lane drove in the T.V. show, I'm seriously impressed, I love those)

·
Ace Tuner
3,736 Posts
Some years ago I dimply recall a newbie wanting to know if he should buy an old Honda CB350 twin .

Yes, I think so and also : all Hondas from back then used a tuned air box so if you simply slap on a pair of those foam air filters it won't run right, no need to special tune it, just make it stock again, MUCH easier and cheaper n ot to mention faster .
Yeah but we could never get OVER 70 posts out of that! :ROFLMAO:

S F

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can dig it and I personally love threads that meander all over the place because they're so educational .

I just want the O.P. to buy and enjoy a nice, reliable lightweight Moto .

·
American Legion Rider
26,362 Posts
I can dig it and I personally love threads that meander all over the place because they're so educational .
Just call it your round table coffee table or bar. One thought leads to another thought and you may or may not ever get back to the original thought/question/post. Free flow thinking is good except in technical issues I feel. I had to go back to see what this thread was supposed to be, hmm, technical.(72 CB350 Top Speed Problems). Did the issue get resolved?

Reactions: -Nate

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
CB350 and top speed, do not go together. They were separated when a CB350 first came out of a grate. I know, I put many together. You could feel top speed leaving the building. Some of it landed on the RD350, and the Kawasaki 350, an R7 I think. UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,736 Posts
Some of it landed on the RD350
Probably most of it.
After modifications we guessed my RD350 topped at somewhere around 120-ish. (The speedometer was no help because the front wheel is off the ground about half the time at top speed). It would hit 97 MPH right quick according to police radar.

S F

·
Registered
361 Posts
Those twin rotary Kawasakis were some pretty hot bikes for the time. A7R probably the bike there.

My Kaw 400-3 would hit around 100+ until ported and then would top 115+ on speedo, the difference in an OEM 7000 rpm engine and one that ran somewhere from 9500-10,000 rpm with ease. The chambers were not good ones at all to boot, Bill Wirges with a big baffle in the rear cone that tore the sonics up, and the volume inside was too big, they used the 500 numbers to build the front part of the unit. Still using the stock 26 mm. carbs too, I did clean the throats up some. I had a stage 2 planned and the parts gathered but it never happened.

·
Registered
288 Posts
See, this supports my point : you guys are serious Hot Rodders and that's great IMO .

On the other hand, not only are there other fingers, there are other ideas ~ notice there are still many old Honda 350 twins, not so much the Yamahas and especially not anything with rotary valve induction .

The 'coffee round table' is exactly right :geek: .

61 - 80 of 86 Posts