Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping around for my first bike and I found a running, clean titled 1972 CB350 k4 for $2500. The seller said it was a barn find that he took to a reputable mechanic to get up and running again. Cosmetically it could use some work but he said it is mechanically sound.

The problem (and the reason he's selling): it tops out around 50 mph. I was under the impression that even an older CB350 could do at least 80 mph.

Attached are the service records with a detailed description of what the mechanic did to get it up and running.
The summary: Both cylinders have decent compression (180 psi, 145psi), though the right cylinder is shy of 170. Points were adjusted and cleaned and timing corrected for both cylinders. Carbs cleaned and jets wire brushed, set to mixtures to 2 turns. Pod filters installed and new electronic system installed.

I like the bike and am willing to put in the work to get it to highway speeds, but I can't diagnose the issue. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. The seller has the original air filters and based on the mechanic report, it doesn't sound like the bike was rejetted to accommodate the foam filters. Do you think sticking on the stock filters would help, or are v stacks my best bet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Wow this thread really blew up! I ended up getting the bike yesterday for $2250. Was on the fence for a while cause of all the info you guys gave, but the seller had all the maintenance records and threw in a whole bunch of extras. Not to mention the bike started pretty easily from cold (I checked) even though it was 20 degrees out. I live in a city so it'll definitely get me around even if it's not running at full speed. Plus I have a buddy who like to restore these old hondas from the ground up and he's been giving me all kinds of pointers. The thing definitely isn't at 100% but it's not far off. Thanks again to everyone who replied, will update if any of your theories fix the speed issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts