Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Strongly advise you put the stock airbox back on and install any kind of air filter in it you care to maintain.
If you look at the original rubber horn shaped parts that came off the carburetors you will see they are cone shaped. They are shaped like a velocity stack, the hole on the airbox end is larger then the mouth of the carburetor. Somebody took that off and messed up the vacuum. To fix it put the velocity stacks back on and make sure your crankcase still has a clean place to breathe from and a drained place to expel blow-by gasses, oil and water into.

You don't reject the carburetors because you put new air filters into it. Ever.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Don't tell people you can make CV carburetor motorcycles with a cheap pod stuck on the open mouth, you can't.
His foam air filter will become fuel soaked and it will never work right like that. Look at Any Honda engine, it will have a carefully formed velocity stack shaped air intake tract. It's Not an optional part or Mr. Honda would not have put it on there at considerable expense.

... and it's a 49 year old cheap built non restored motorcycle of course it's a dog. Somebody started to cafe yet another one.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Some day people will figure out Vacuum control anything on a gasoline engine is a pollution control fuel conservation measure. and those CV carbs with a dry filter pulled over them certainly do Not have a built in venturi shape, they took that part away. and then hope the lower compression on the one side is not a damaged valve.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Speed of sound is 343 meters per second. If the air is dry and at room temperature.
Not hard to believe air can move at or exceed that speed when it's only moving a few centimetres and it's happening in less then a second, but unless you are designing an air intake that operates on the Helmholtz Resonator principal it's kind of irrelevant to making a carburetor efficiently atomize fuel into an engine.

... predator carb on a 454 Chevy, lol amc you are such a car guy.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Still going to have a rough time pushing fuel through an injector without that fuel pump, a fuel injector is a nozzle. We are looking for a fine mist spray not a dribble.

& I'd rather look at my own motorcycles they all run like a jet :LOL: but 2 of them need some cleaning and one fork seal needs replacing. Might do the seal replace after supper or maybe tomorrow, I don't think anybody is coming to ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The force is called vacuum and it comes from the movement of the piston drawing air into the combustion chamber. It's the Earth's Atmosphere that provides the air and powers the pressure differential.
You can pull or draw air into a venturi just as easy as you can push it, unless you are in outer space at the time.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
When he cracks the throttle open at 36 seconds into the video, watch the fuel spray come Out of the open throat of the carburetor, that right there is how your pod filter is going to get gas soaked, and that right there is why you want the funnel shaped air intake, and that right there is why everybody is adding more fuel when they install pods on the open mouth of a carburetor.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
None so blind as those who do not wish to see.

"We have a guy reving an engine that is not under load, to demonstrate what happens when an engine is under load."
No, we have the only Short video I could find quick that shows what I've seen happen in real life.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
You don't get that blow-back of fuel from the fuel injected engine version for the fairly obvious reasons, the fuel mist is introduced at an angle away from the intake and well after the throttle body.

... next time buy a fuel injected motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts