Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my 2001 650 vstar classic. Every since we got caught in the rain it has a miss under power. Ran fine until the ran. Have changed plugs, air filter , fuel filter and back coil. If idiling in nuetral runs great and even accelerates. Any help would be greatly appreciative.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
If everything was great until the big rain, I might be inclined to wonder if you are suffering from water in the fuel. Try draining the carb float bowls and take a fuel sample from the bottom of the gas tank, see if there is water in the fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Or, the seals on the spark plug caps let water in, and the spark is just flashing over. You should be able to take them apart, apply silicone grease to the seals (if they aren't failing), trim a bit off the end of the wires, and put it back together. There should be a seal that fits around the plug, and another that seals the cap to the wire.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
sounds like gremlins

may be a vapor lock in one of the fuel lines, or a vapor lock in one of the carbs. missing under power, probably means that there is a fuel issue.

I have also heard that plugs go out sometimes when they are hot, and a cold drop of rain falls on them, cracks the resistor. Take an induction timing light(did you know that induction timing lights were not made until about the mid60's?), Hook it up to each plug wire and see if you have flashing on each plug.
A bad plug will show as an intermittent flash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts