Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to the forum, hope I'm posting in the right place! (I wanted to include a photo but that kept crashing the forum page)
Fully restored, 1100 miles, Boyer ignition installed at 300 miles, converted to 12- volt, running 6-volt coils. Recently went on a ride, got 7 miles out of town, bike died at a stop sign. I limped it home on 1 cylinder, feathering the throttle to keep it from dying. Compression is good, took carb apart and cleaned it 4 times (and it wasn't dirty).
Even with the spark plugs out I have to kick it as hard as I can to get even a tiny spark on both sides. Anything less than that, no spark at all. I recall my odometer light used to come on w/ the light switch, without the bike running. Now it doesn't come on, and the bulb is good. Since it's inexpensive I went ahead and changed the light switch. That wasn't the problem. Could the electrical be running through the ignition switch, since that, too, is original?
I owned and operated an automotive repair biz for 26 years, so I'm fairly savvy about how stuff works...but then again, this is a different beast. Lucas electrics, omg, what a pain. Positive ground system is something I'm not that familiar with.
Help...? Thoughts...? Ideas...?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
You are running 6 volt coils on a 12 volt system? Could you have burned out the coils?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that's pretty standard upgrade to do that. It gives you much hotter spark. Been running that for 800 miles, and put new ones in anyway last week, just in case. No change.

·
15,544 Posts
Well in that case start with your grounds, trace the wiring and check all your connections, make sure everything is clean and you have good connectivity. Does that bike have a battery: If so make sure it is good as well.

Maybe someone else can offer more specific advice. Just them sometime.

·
15,544 Posts
Check all your wiring, make sure you have clean connections. Check your grounds. Does that have a battery? Is it good?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts