Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

For the love of me, I can’t get that damn crankcase to separate!

I’ve been doing everything by the book (Haynes manual) and all 27 bolts are out.

I keep on hitting it with my mallet but it’s just stuuuuuck! so much that my mallet is starting to disintegrate lol

I wonder what Honda is using at the factory? Is it some type of Hondabond that requires heat? If so, are we talking heat gun or propane torche?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Enlighten me.
What am I looking at? Where is it supposed to separate?
It looks like the parts in the pic are upside down, and the pan has been removed. I would like to see the seam that needs separating.

UK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Enlighten me.
What am I looking at? Where is it supposed to separate?
It looks like the parts in the pic are upside down, and the pan has been removed. I would like to see the seam that needs separating.

UK
thanks for your reply. Yes the oil pan has been separated for ease of work (flat surface).
There are some special prying tabs protruding but still, doesn’t move!
here is new pictures: there’s a black gasket maker stuck for 15 years haha

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I would think that if you can't easily separate it by using a tool as a prybar in that hole to the left of your finger, then something still needs to be removed/disconnected. I wouldn't force it too hard prying. Last thing you want to do is crack something.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I think he said he has removed everything he can find to remove but it still refuses to separate. I’m wondering if there is something like a slot and keyway type thing keeping it locked together. Or even something as simple as a burr that gets in the way. Without feeling it myself I can’t speculate further. But I bet it is something very simple that is just being overlooked.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
I’ve been doing everything by the book (Haynes manual) and all 27 bolts are out.
I wonder what Honda is using at the factory? Is it some type of Hondabond that requires heat?
One time an aftermarket service manual stopped us from racing because of bad information that we made the mistake of trusting... Now I only use, and only kinda trust, factory manuals. Just a thought....

Honda is probably still using the same Hondabond today that they used 15 years ago. It does not require heat for removal.
Sometimes you just really gotta whack the case, in the right places and at the correct angle, with your mallet to get them to separate.
Maybe (?) that is all that is needed?

Also,
You may have missed a bearing retainer, or something of the like, that spans both the upper and lower crankcase halves that has to be removed for case splitting. ???
You can see the transmission main shaft bearing retainer, in the pic, near your finger in your third post. It does not look like that one should need to be removed but you should look for something like that stopping your progress.
Anything like that at the ends of the crankshaft?

S F

1 - 7 of 7 Posts