Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
i'm a fairly new rider. i'm 5'4" ...and my first bike is a 750...honda shadow

seems like you're a big guy and I bet you'd grow out of the smaller choice really fast.

i started on the 750 bc i was told my skill level would advance and i'd grow out of a smaller bike faster. i'm glad i didn't start on anything less than 750.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree w/Dodsfall, there is no one-size-fits-all. I'm only 5'2" & 110 lbs. and I don't think I could handle anything over 800 lbs. My 250 Virago pulls me along quite fine, I have had it up to 87 mph (bike's speedo). I will eventually (2-3 years) upgrade to a 650/950 Yamaha for long distance rides. Want the EFI of the 950 but, might be happy with the 650.
Go with what is comfortable to you. I wouldn't rule out a used bike as a first bike with intent to go bigger later. With the price of gas, I would think getting a used bike, taking care of it, a year later you could sell it for close to what you paid for it. "Close" being a relative term.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i'm a fairly new rider. i'm 5'4" ...and my first bike is a 750...honda shadow

seems like you're a big guy and I bet you'd grow out of the smaller choice really fast.

i started on the 750 bc i was told my skill level would advance and i'd grow out of a smaller bike faster. i'm glad i didn't start on anything less than 750.
Yeah, when I took the MSF course this weekend my instructor told me the same thing. He basically just said that I was big guy, I should get something I was comfortable with, and that I probably shouldn't look any smaller than the Honda Shadow or Yamaha V Star 750's. He even thought I'd be fine on a bigger cruiser, but of course he cautioned me away from bigger sport bikes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My first bike is a 83 honda 750. Just take it easy. You should be fine. You're big enough to handle the weight. Have fun! A 250 is going to feel tiny and get old fast. If you weighed 50 pounds less then it would be something different.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have a Moto Guzzi Nevada 750. It would be a good bike for an inexperienced rider. It's light in weight and has a gentle power delivery, but it has enough power to cruise on the highway.

It's designed for people with short legs, though. I'm 5'10" and it's a bit cramped for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The boards seem to be split on this issue.

I'm 6'3 220, and I'd like a cruiser. I'm scheduled to take the BRC in about 3.5 weeks. The course is conducted on 250cc bikes. I've looked around at the 250's offered by Yamaha and Honda, and I do like them as a starter bike. I've read a lot about the best bikes for beginners, and even the websites are recommending bikes that go anywhere from 250cc's all the way to 883cc's (Harley Sportster). Everyone seems to agree that 250's are great for maneuverability, handling, and having enough power to get you around (without putting you in too much hot water). However, I'm worried about a few things about small bikes:

*Being too big to be comfortable on them
*Outgrowing it in a year or so, and then trading it in or selling it at a loss
*The bike being blown around too easily on the highway

On the other side of the equation, I think I really do prefer the Honda Shadow 600's or the Yamaha V-Star 650's in terms of look and style. Those are bikes that I think I could be happy with for a long time. My biggest concern is going from the 250's at the BRC straight to a bigger bike.

I'm too old to give a crap about impressing people or looking silly on a smaller bike. What I really want more than anything else is a bike that fits my skill set in the beginning. If that means I suck it up early on and get comfortable on a 250cc that I'm not in love with, so be it. I can trade it in and get the 600 or 650cc bike in a year or two. However, if people on here really think that a bigger guy can handle a 600-650cc bike without too much trouble, I would definitely go that way since those are more to my taste. I welcome any thoughts and opinions on this.
My man, though I am not in the UK, my very first bike was a GS750E in 1980. Yes it was tamer than today's Fuel Injected water cooled versions and had a top speed of around 125 MPH, but, If you are worrying about 250 vs 600ish I say dont worry about it. Especially if you are looking at cruisers. You will adapt to the bike you ride and advanced skill is really only needed if you plan on use the sport bike to its near limit capabilities. That does not mean you can ignore safety. ATGATT is an acronym for All the Gear all the time. SEEMS SILLY IN HOT SUMMER WEATHER, BUT, IF YOU GOT DOWN HARD ONCE, YOU WILL KNOW just what that protection does and it literally can save your life and a lot of road rash pain. If you practice safe habits they become the standard instead of the exception. Good Luck with your choice

21 - 27 of 27 Posts