Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be kinda stupid to drive with them they're so dim. Kinda like orange light when a car battery is about to go dead. I understand that's what you get with this Honda, though. :(

This is my first bike, and I just got it.

Is there something I can do, other than converting to 12 volt, to brighten my outlook while driving, like maybe a LED bulb?

Thank you, thank you very much...

:71baldboy:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'd start by making sure you have 6V, and not 12V bulbs in there.

Connect a bulb directly to the battery and see if it's any brighter (without the voltage drop of going through a fuse, an ignition switch, a dim/bright switch, etc.)

If you've got the correct 6V bulbs, then search on "voltage drop" on this website. You may have dirty/corroded connectors, switch contacts, fuseblock blades, a bad ground,.....that are causing a voltage drop..

so your battery is 6.3V but the bulb is only seeing 5.5, etc.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
You never mentioned if the lights are always dim, or only when the motor is idling. All my 6 volt bikes have dim lights while idling, but get brighter while riding. Agreed, check the voltage at the bulb, both at idle and above idle speed. Sometimes, if the headlamp is original, replacing it with a new one will help. Sometimes just turning up the idle a little will work.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
My 12 volt halogens get dimmer when idling.....
If idle is low....
Kinda one reason i have my idle set a bit higher then normal....
NNnn it sounds a lot better idling smotth too...

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Dim

My 6 volt XL250 had a dim head light. They all did, even when new. I still have here somewhere, a 6 volt halogen bulb. I should look for it. Was going to install it in my XL250 but did not.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts