Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed as MSF course back in October of last year. Last weekend I bought a 1983 Honda Shadow VTX750c for $500. It does not run. The fuel system is dirty. The guy kept it in his garage with an empty tank for 5 or 6 years. I have experience working on engines and cars. I am in the process of cleaning the rust out of the gas tank. I plan to pull the auxiliary tank this weekend and clean that out too. Then its on to the carburetors tuning. I want to change out all the fluids. I think one of the front calipers needs rebuilt. I want to inspect the rear drum brake. Does anyone have any tips for a new rider starting on a cruiser? Its going to be a little while before I get it running. I don't have much time to tinker with it during the week. I will get it running though, I have no doubt about that.

Thanks,

Jack

View attachment 45306

Attachments

·
Mod/Motorcyclist/ Trucker/ Deplorable
1,250 Posts
If it has been sitting that long, I would not leave any system untouched. Tires is also IMO no good after 3 years. Don't get too froggy and cheat just to ride it sooner, do the go through and do it right so you wont regret it. Congrats too BTW!

~Aph

1 - 2 of 2 Posts