Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was answering a question on riding in Hawaii and it made me realize that it has already been almost 10 years since I completed the 49 states in 10 days ride. Time is flying by. (Getting old! )
The rest of the story.
In early 2010 I was planning and preparing for the ride but my wife also wanted to go on a trip. She wanted to go to Hawaii for our 35th anniversary, at first I wasn't very supportive of her plan (going to Hawaii is expensive!) but then I realized that if I could find a bike to ride in Hawaii I might have a chance to ride in all 50 states if I completed the 49 state ride. We’re going to Hawaii!
First I looked online to see if any places in Hawaii were renting Victory's, no luck on that but there were a lot of places that rented Harley's. I sent an email to Victory asking if they knew of a place that rented Victory's in Hawaii, I added "please don't make me rent a Harley". :)
I wasn't expecting an answer but I did get a reply from Mike Dapper, Mike was the editor of the Victory Rider Magazine. Mike said he knew of one person that owned a Victory on the Big Island and said he would contact him and ask if I could ride his bike.
Mike did contact him and the owner (Dale) sent me an email asking for more details. From his email I didn't think my odds of riding his bike were very good, he had an Arlen Ness Victory Jackpot and it had never been ridden in the rain and he never let anybody sit on it. It was the only Victory on the Big Island.
After months of back and forth emails he agreed to let me ride his Jackpot. Now the goal was to be the first person to complete the Iron Butt 49 states in 10 days ride on a Victory and be the first to ride a Victory in all 50 states.
On May 8th, 2010 I rode the Victory Jackpot along the coast of the Big Island, on June 24th I started the 49 state ride and then on the 4th of July (Victory's birthday) 2010 I made to Hyder, Alaska, my 50th state on a Victory. 50 states in 57 days.
Would have never been possible without the help of Mike Dapper, Dale and my understanding wife.
It was an adventure!

Hawaii

The 49 states in 10 days route. 8818 miles.

Hyder, Alaska on the 4th of July on my Victory Kingpin.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Sweet. Well done.
I would get stuck making the map.
Once upon a time I new the owner of Tiki Travel in Honolulu. He could arrange the tickets and have a bike for me to ride. I used to ride a 68 350 Kawasaki around Oahu.

UK

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. Well done.
I would get stuck making the map.
Once upon a time I new the owner of Tiki Travel in Honolulu. He could arrange the tickets and have a bike for me to ride. I used to ride a 68 350 Kawasaki around Oahu.

UK
Making the map took months. Trying to hit every state and trying to have a shorter route, redid it over and over.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I can imagine. Just checking my list, and it looks like six states for me. All left coast including HA, except for Illinois.
Just remembered, NY in 1948. Make that seven.
I bought a 6 X 10 cargo trailer. Will take a while to get it camper ready. Maybe a year or so. Have other stuff to do as well. But at least I have the trailer and a plan. The Dodge Caravan will get some new brake and suspension parts.

UK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts