Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am getting back into riding. Something I haven't done since I was in my late 20's early 30's. I have owned an XS650 Heritage Special and FZR 400.
I am older now and am looking for a good commuter bike that I can take for a longer rip on weekends. I am on the shorter side 5'8" and about 230lbs.
Recommendations ???
Thanks to all in advance

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
You know there's really NOTHING like a Harley for shorter riders. Maybe a Heritage Softtail?

Compared to my too-tall KoloredSake Concorde, a HD is a pure joy in parking lots, U-turns, everything.

Get a ride on a 1200 Sportster and you'll come back with an ear-to-ear grin. My buddies, we're all agreed it's the PUREST motorcycle any of us have ever ridden. Powerful, fun, responsive, forgiving, balanced....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

If you're looking for a 'current replacement' for that Heritage 650 you used to ride, consider a Yamaha Vstar 650

Low seat, easy power delivery, & capable of commuting you wherever you're going. Cheap enough too! Yamaha has been making Vstars for a long time so, buying a used one in decent shape shouldn't be tough. Or a new one if that's what you want :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
Thanks for the quick replies. Both very nice choices. I have spoken to the insurance company. They suggest I try and keep below 500cc's to keep down insurance rates.
So to amend my request.....a commuter bike, below 500cc's with a low seat height, able to handle 200+ pound rider.
Thanks for the warm reception and thanks for the recommendations so far...

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
below 500cc's to keep down insurance rates.
Pffft. I don't think an experienced rider over 175# is gonna be happy on a sub 500cc bike.

Just don't get on a crotch rocket and you'll be fine. That 650 cruiser is a great bike, there HAPPENS to be one at a store called "Other People's Stuff" in Phoenix. You might give 'em a call. Mint condition, if it's still there.

Besides, you're over 50. How bad can the insurance company jack you unless you've got a bunch of speeding tickets? Might be $100/yr difference versus an underpowered bike you decide to resell after less than one season.

Life's short. Find the right bike and let the finances work themselves out is MY advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pffft. I don't think an experienced rider over 175# is gonna be happy on a sub 500cc bike.

Just don't get on a crotch rocket and you'll be fine. That 650 cruiser is a great bike, there HAPPENS to be one at a store called "Other People's Stuff" in Phoenix. You might give 'em a call. Mint condition, if it's still there.

Besides, you're over 50. How bad can the insurance company jack you unless you've got a bunch of speeding tickets? Might be $100/yr difference versus an underpowered bike you decide to resell after less than one season.

Life's short. Find the right bike and let the finances work themselves out is MY advice.
I'll have to call the insurance company on Monday and see what the difference would be. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Height

You are not short, you are average.
I am 5' 6 1/2", the beginning of ducks disease for a guy.
Honda Shadow has a low seat.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
631 Posts
The Kawasaki Vulcan 500 might be worth a look. You'd help your cause if you said what you're looking to spend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello all,
I am getting back into riding. Something I haven't done since I was in my late 20's early 30's. I have owned an XS650 Heritage Special and FZR 400.
I am older now and am looking for a good commuter bike that I can take for a longer rip on weekends. I am on the shorter side 5'8" and about 230lbs.
Recommendations ???
Thanks to all in advance
A fella I work with is exactly your size and he rides a Yamaha v-star 650 and he loves it. He rides 35 miles each way to work and home. Says it's the best bike he's ridden and he has had his mc endorsement since 1974. I'm guessing he's had a lot of seats under him so that's some input. Whatever you get, ride safe.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Short, fat and old?

Get a tall, skinny new bike!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will be buying used. I would like to keep the price to around $5,000. The VStar fits that. Willing to look at others as well. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^+1
Unless you have a bad driving record??....the small amount you will save on insurance will be sadly offset by too small/uncomfortable a bike! I own a Harley Heritage ..I too am Vertically Challenged and Horiziontally Blessed!! I love the way the Heritage fits a short rider like myself.I also own a Vintage 1975 900CC Kawasaki bike but its no where near the comfort of the Harley Heritage, I also agree a Sportster would be nice , however I can ride hours/ 400 miles and still be ready to ride again, I am 65 years old, 5'9" and 240lbs.
Just my Humble Opinion
Ed

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Get an Indian Vintage..............

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
If I were you I would also be checking out the Kawasaki 900. It has a fairly low seat, about 26 inches. It also has plenty of power but not enough to get you into trouble. It weighs around 500 lbs. but since you've ridden before that shouldn't be a problem.

Call your insurance company and ask about a couple "cruiser type" bikes. I would imagine they will be cheaper.

Good Luck in finding a bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You could also check out the Honda shadow phantom 750. Makes great power, rides very nice, seat height around 27 inches or so and is a sweet looking bike. Used 2011 models are selling for around $4500 around here.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,849 Posts
quit drinking diet soda. Number one reason people over fifty are growing rounder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts