Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any old bikers here from the late 50s early 60s north london muswell hill area curlys cabin bottom of muswell hill near alexandra palace gates there has to be some bikers from there we used to hang there most evenings, rides to the Ace cafe and the famous Busy Bea cafe, you cant all be dead getting on in years but surely someone out there remambers the golden age of biking no cameras cops on 500cc Triumph speed twins my 59 Bonneville gobled them up some of the coppers even rode them silver ghosts you could run faster, The M1 opened and that day fifty of us rode the length of the M1 i was doing 140. On my 1,000 cc Vincent black lightning or was it a Black Knight long ago cant remember which but it was fully encased in i guess you would call it a full fairing.

Bikes were the Triumph T110 Tiger 100 TR6. Thunderbirds all british bikes then the Ace car park was full every night with rockers, mods would not dare go near the Ace cafe them days,

The 59. Club was run by the vicar come on someone must remember the golden biking days.

Surely im not the only one left from that M1 race , the day they opened it.

Oh well just me then .......:)

·
8,603 Posts
Welcome from the colonies and specifically SW Missouri.

I've had fun on 2 Brit bikes, my past 2010 Triumph Scrambler and my 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster that I currently ride, that and a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you can remember the sixties, then you weren't really there!

Wasn't in the UK, but a friend had a Manx Norton which he would pillion me around town (probably around 1965?). That is until he met the girl he would marry. Whenever he saw her in the street he'd do a wheelie, drop me off the back, and take her for a ride instead and leave me to walk home. Luckily we lived in a small rural town so it wasn't a long walk.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can remember the sixties, then you weren't really there!

Wasn't in the UK, but a friend had a Manx Norton which he would pillion me around town (probably around 1965?). That is until he met the girl he would marry. Whenever he saw her in the street he'd do a wheelie, drop me off the back, and take her for a ride instead and leave me to walk home.:coffee: Luckily we lived in a small rural town so it wasn't a long walk.
I remember both the 50/60s best biking days ever these days your sarrounded with cctv speed traps , cop cars that they can tell your life story with one glance of their inboards hi tech computers.

The old days there was few traffic 140mph on the m1 now its 70 or your get a cop car after you. Plus the music non violence no one would pinch your bike today they would pinch anything i had my bike outside for years never heard of one biker out of the hundreds that met up at the Ace cafe that had a bike pinched, different people them days times that can never come back....

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
50 60.

I started my living plan in Croydon in 46, then moved to the colonies. My main mission is to report back to the mother country on how the colonies are doing.
This is my third posting after NZ and Hawaii.
Was back in 71 for a debriefing and a blast up the M1. Stupid Norton could only manage 108. Back a couple more times since then.
Have a return visit to the IOM planned, after I finish a few chores here on my Island.
Many moons ago, I discovered that the cops Triumph OHV 500, was faster than the Triumph 350 side valve, I was riding.
I am number 14, the same as George Formby in the movie.

Unkle Krusty*

·
8,603 Posts
The trouble with you older Brits is that your memory isn't so good and you've forgotten that the speedometer you were reading was in Kilometers per hour and so your 150 mph ideas about your old 40 HP Britt bikes is VASTLY over rated.:biggrin:

A good 305 Honda Superhawk would out run and especially out last 90% of anything made in GB.:wink:

My Son, on the day I bought my new 2010 Triumph Scrambler, took off with me as I was test riding a Sportster that I also bought that day and when we returned from the short ride, he told me that I sure was riding fast! He looked down and we were doing 110 mph (62 in MPH) and the Sales manager said that he kept telling the service dept to set the bikes up for the United States.:wink:

Now my 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster will actually easily do 150 mph but it has 4 times the HP and torque of the 50-60's Brit bikes, although the Norton 750 and 850 Commando's were certainly quick for the time as long as they held together:biggrin:

I'm just pokin' a little fun at ya all:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Don't mind Porky. He doesn't seem to know that even today you still use MPH in a country that has supposedly converted to metric.

·
8,603 Posts
Don't mind my friend Ol' man as he doesn't know that the Odometers on British bikes are in MILES but the Speedometers are in Kilometers per hour:biggrin:

I was gonna buy an almost brand new 1966 BSA Rocket 650, single carb )Maybe a lightning) from a friend when we were in the Air Force! It was beautiful in bright shiny red and polished Al--U--MIN-I-UM, so I rode it around for a while. :p

It wasn't the first British Bike I'd rode, they were a Royal Enfield 650 Twin, A Triumph 650 twin and a 500 AJS twin and when I was 16 and riding a Honda 50cc bike they seemed powerful, fast and massive! (NOT):frown:

The near new BSA was slow and vibrated. I passed.:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Bsa

<<<<< BSA. Bits stuck anywhere.
You have to take them apart and put them together better than the factory did.
Took two attempts with the engine on mine. New and improved mechanic the second time. Also knew good machinist guys at Air NZ.

Was the Italians who always went faster, because they were talking kilometers per hour.

All my current bikes are in KPH. Still confuses me.
The XS400 has MPH in smaller numbers on an inner ring of the speedo.

Unkle Krusty*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts