Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing websites and magazine articles that list the top 10-15 motorcycle roads that we all have to ride. The Dragon, Highway 1, etc. That's fine and dandy, but what about a list for each state? After all, it's rare that we get to toodle around the country fulfilling our bucket list.

So, thought I'd try to see if we can create a list of the 5 good roads for each state. That way, I'll have an idea where to look the next time I'm passing through your territory. Oh yeah, you guys can use the list, too. :biggrin:

Here's my list of faves in Louisiana:

1. River Road between Baton Rouge and New Orleans on either side of the Mississippi River - Has lots of high speed sweepers, beautiful scenery, historical plantation homes

2. Manchac Road - Just outside of Baton Rouge, it's only 7 miles long, but if you want some peg-scraping twisties, that's about the only place to find it in LA

3. Pinckneyville Road - A fun little road that runs from Angola Prison through the Tunica Hills up to Woodville, MS.

4. LA Highway 1 - Runs north/south through some historic towns on the west side of the Mississippi River.

5. LA Highway 22 - Miles of fun sweepers along the Tickfaw River from Port Vincent to Springfield, LA.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea for getting ideas straight from the folks that live there. If this thread is responded to well, maybe it could be made a sticky.

In the meantime, here's one website (of several) that list the best roads/rides for each state...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/index.php
I'm hoping this thread can become a sticky. I've seen several websites like the one you posted. The problem is, not many people contribute or the site sort of dies off. I suspect that's because those sites are sort of after-thoughts, whereas this forum has hundreds of daily contributors.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we can make something useful.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
In CT:

1. Route 80 east to west thru a good chunk of the state, with good pavement and some neat small towns to go thru.
2. Route 1 east to west along the shore. You have to have
patience with the stop lights, but there are some really nice
sections, and the view of the ocean is worth it.
3. Route 79 runs north and south and has a few really nice
turns that keep your attention.
4. Route 77 runs parallel to route 79, north and south, with the same beautiful tree-lined views, and good pavement
5. Route 6 running from the south west to the north east across the State (a.k.a.: Route 66). the more enjoyable way to go to Providence, RI. Very steep hills, but good steady riding.
-Soupy

·
Registered
10 Posts
In NY
Route 28 From Warrensburg to Old Forge
Rt 8 from Pottersville to Utica
Route 9n form Lake George to Plattsburgh
Route 30 from Speculator to Malone
Route 86 from Jay to Paul Smiths

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Good idea for getting ideas straight from the folks that live there. If this thread is responded to well, maybe it could be made a sticky.

In the meantime, here's one website (of several) that list the best roads/rides for each state...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/index.php
This was the first thing I thought of too, There are so many I know of in West MI, problem is I don't know the names of most roads, just where they are. :confused:
The only one I know by heart is from downtown Newaygo, take Croton Dr East off M37 near the bridge, follow that all the way past Croton Dam. Follow through miles of curves to 40th, turn Right on 40th to go across Hardy Dam and back to M37. Left will take you back to Newaygo enjoying slow gentle curves, right takes you North through Manistee National Forest.
Beautiful scenery, longish straights and a variety of curves from gentle to tight. The circle from Newaygo and back is about 30 - 45 minutes.
I also recently bought a book from Barnes and Noble that has many rides in MI but I haven't had time to look though it yet. They probably have one for every state.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Velisoped, here's a couple more.
Hwy307 through Kraemer has some nice curves and twisties, but it's short. Be sure to stop at Edwina's in Kraemer.
I also like Hwy22 from Sorento to Ponchatoula, and 16 from Sorento to Baton Rouge.
One more. I think it's 73 from 190 towards Pierre Part, then 70 along the river to Morgan City. While you're in M C, you can tour The Mister Charlie, an old drilling rig.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Colorado, well....some of these routes lead OUT of the state, like:

Route "G" from Cortez Colorado to Aneth Utah. Looks like gravel on maps, isn't. A fantastic canyon ride with vineyards, a winery, B&B, and every kind of corner known to man, sweepers, lefts, rights, tights, uphill, downhill. Truly a rider's road. Puts you out in (Mormon) Aneth Utah, a few miles up the road is scenic Bluff utah with restaurants and Anasazi ruins rivaling Mesa Verde. Stay at the Recapture Lodge.

San Juan Skyway / Million Dollar Highway. Superlatives all the way around, just be careful of weather YEAR ROUND, it can snow in July in Silverton. The stretch from Silverton to Ouray has no guardrail and is one of the most fantastic, scariest stretches in America (for some...). The Dallas divide, near Telluride, in fall the colors are unbelievable, and from Rico to Dolores along the river is true sports bike / cruiser country. Go midweek, and leave VERY early to avoid the RV's and other traffic. This is an epic ride of a lifetime for most.

Grand Mesa --- from CedarEdge to NewCastle, CO. Again, be prepared for weather. And views. 100 mile views with so many twisties and switchbacks a camera can't even capture more than a few in a single frame. There are a VARIETY of ways into NewCastle including a gravel/dirt route that would require an adventure bike.

I'll leave room for someone to add some routes NOT in the SW Corner of the state.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Stainlesstehle, I don't get to Michigan much, but I like the Blue Star Hwy south of Douglas.
By the way, do you know any Schumachers from GR?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
New Mexico.

Wowzer. The most fantastic road I've ever ridden (repeatedly) is Highway 65 from Taos to Chama, NM. Specifically the 75 mile stretch from Tres Piedras (3 rocks) to Tierra Amarilla. Humongous, 100mph sweeper turns that will make any INTERMEDIATE rider feel like Kenny Rogers, "Ya picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel," no, wait, Kenny ROBERTS. This road is unplowed and closed in winter. At Brazos summit over 10,000', again, you'd better have packed gear for any weather. Watch for LEO's south of Chama in the 55 zone that OUGHT to be 65.

The Enchanted Circle. Taos to Palo Flechado Peak, on into Angel Fire, on to Eagle's nest Lake, climb into Red River for BBQ or a Steak at Texas Reds, down through 25 campgrounds to sleepy Questa, beside the river turned turquoise by carborundum mining runoff, out to the Taos Gorge Bridge, and Back into Taos. 100 miles. Unbelievable. Don't waste time visiting Santa Fe, there's nothing there. Head for Wheeler Peak, or even Cimarron Canyon.

Albuquerque to Pagosa Springs, 550 North (boring) to Cuba, then Cuba over to Regina, Galina.... Abiquiu ...a truly amazing road that shows you the TRUE New Mexico --- incredible scenic beauty punctuated by stunning poverty. Abiquiu on up to Espanola, on into Chama, Chama to Pagosa Springs along another beautiful, wide open road.

Again, I'll leave room for someone familiar with the southern part of the state... I simply haven't found any rider's roads there...yet!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Arizona. Anything but I-17 and I-40 is BOUND to be good. But we
frequently ride:

Phoenix to Surprize to Yarnell to Jerome to Prescott to Camp Verde...then home on the I-17. The twisties into Yarnell are unbeatable...until you ride the twisties into Jerome. These switchbacks and 15mph corners will WEAR YOU OUT. Eat breakfast in Yarnell.

What I call "the Chubby Checker Highway" (666). The twistiest road in America, 453 corners and switchbacks in under 75 miles, according to ADOT. That's not counting the minor corners, only the real ones. From Clifton to Eager. This is a ride of a lifetime you will never forget. Either bring a canyon carver or plan on scraping. Get an early start if you're leaving out of Phoenix so you don't run out of daylight.

Gallup to Sedona. 491 North out of Gallup, east on 264 through Fort Defiance, Window Rock, Gamado, and the Navajo and Hopi reservations. 90% of this route (as of 10/15) is FRESHLY PAVED. Incredible scenery. Just INCREDIBLE. From Tuba City 89A down to Flagstaff (watch for LEO's where the road goes permanently 4-lane north of Flag), detour out to the Grand Canyon if ya want, then Flagstaff take 89A to Sedona through unbelievable Oak Creek Canyon. Avoid Sedona on weekends or you'll do the bumper to bumper thing behind a Prevost or Gillig tour bus.

Payson to Camp Verde is amazing (and also, recently paved) but not quite long enough to call a "route." One could also go out to Apache Junction, Superior, Miami Globe and then come BACK from Showlow/Payson on the Beeline highway, itself a true high-speed treat with 4 lanes and lots of twisties.

Cheers!

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Lets see what I have for Maine...

Rt 8/137
Start in Madison and head towards Norridgwock on Rt 8 (201A). Follow 8 on through to Smithfield, and then hang a left onto 137, and follow that into Oakland.
This route has just enough twists to make it pleasant, with enough straights to make it relaxed, without being boring. In the autumn, you have some magnificent foliage views as well.

Rt 201 north
Head out on College Ave in Waterville northbound, and just follow 201. You can go as far as Jackman if you wish, or even further to the border. You will be blessed with some magnificant views, as the route follows the Kennebec a good majority of the way.

Rt 1 Machias to Portland
Some incredible views of the ocean, combined with plenty of great places to stop and eat, this is one of the best rides in the state.

And thats all I personally have for Maine

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
In NH:

Route 112, the Kancamagus Highway, from Lincoln to Conway.

Hurricane Mountain Road, North Conway, NH

Route 123a Westward from Marlow - will be great once repaved.

Route 16 around the Mt. Washington area - just because of the scenery.

The Mt. Washington auto road. Just because it's fun!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Up to 10 states so far! Keep 'em coming, folks!

No rules here, if it's a good road, let us know.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Velisoped, here's a couple more.
Hwy307 through Kraemer has some nice curves and twisties, but it's short. Be sure to stop at Edwina's in Kraemer.
I also like Hwy22 from Sorento to Ponchatoula, and 16 from Sorento to Baton Rouge.
One more. I think it's 73 from 190 towards Pierre Part, then 70 along the river to Morgan City. While you're in M C, you can tour The Mister Charlie, an old drilling rig.
dwsonar, thanks! Didn't know about the Pierre Part to Morgan City route. Clearly, I need to get south of BR more often. :biggrin:

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Wisconsin

in no particular order, here are 5 that come to mind for Cheeseland. Although it's hard to list ONLY five, I'll stick to the most popular for many riders I know

1. Hwy 35, Great River Road from Nelson to Prescott, squished between the bluffs and the Mississippi River, much of it along Lake Pepin. Long lazy curves, great places to eat and plenty of overlooks for sightseeing and historical markers. Run up the WI side and back down the MN side. Can't pick which side I like better.

2. Hwy 55 from Crandon to Shawano. Thank the gods that made the Wolf River, and thank the engineers that built a road that shadows it.

3. Hwy 33 from Lacrosse to Hillsboro. Parts of it are long sweeping curves and others are quick little twisties. The section from Ontario to Hillsboro- over wildcat Mt. and beyond are the highlight.

4. Hwy 108 from West Salem to Melrose. More bluff running. The Mindoro Cut is one of those rides that everyone loves

5. One of my personal favorites is Vernon CtH P from **** Valley to Hwy 82 near Dilly. Of the MANY great roads in Vernon county, this one gives an excellent sampling of the Driftless Region.

It's actually more challenging to find a boring road in the south-west area of the state:icon_cool:

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I'm not sure why one would want to reinvent a site that's already set up. As Metaldoc pointed out, there is already a major site that has roads all over the world, mostly in the USA. The site has descriptions, info, maps and photos of each route. Go to Motorcycle Roads for an example. It's one of dozens of routes I have listed and posted photos for. (I'm GJRonK, by the way.)

It's not a chat site, only info on routes, of which there are probably several thousand listed. You can even download maps onto your smartphones, or whatever. Plus, there are adjacent sites of interest listed.

Click on the link highlighted above for one of mine, or go to the home page and click on the state you are interested in.

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

And for the OP, this link should take you directly to LA so you can see routes listed for your state and those nearby.

--

1 - 20 of 60 Posts