Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely looking for cruiser type motorcycles. I like the V-Star's, but the 250s seem just way too small for me, I know I'm going to be really cramped on it.

I am 5/11, I weigh 125 pounds, my arms are long, and I have a 33 inseam. Those 250 cruisers just seem to small for me.

But I'm a straight up beginner. I have absolutely zero experience with motorcycles or dirtbikes, so I need something that isn't going to get away from me.

So what would you folks recommend for someone like me?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cruisers are a little different from sports bikes from what I've read on these forums I think. I'd guess you can go up just a bit more in power until you find one that suits you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm about .5 inch taller and same inseam. Just started riding 5 months ago. I'd say go for a Virago or Rebel if you like the cruiser style and feel - you will be fine. The seat height doesn't matter and if your feet feel cramped on the controls, you can get different pegs, and/or extensions to push the pegs forward a few inches.

I started out on a Yamaha XT 250 dual sport because I thought I needed the higher seat height; but later when I took a BRC course, they furnished Kawasaki Eliminators (cruiser similar to Rebel but single cyl 125 displacement) and I liked it.

Soon after I bought a V Star 650 Custom. (Great bike - LOVE it! But I do see a Harley Dyna in my future at some point.) The heavier weight was very noticeable, but manageable. I'd recommend starting on a 250 if you are a raw beginner starting from scratch. Yes, you'll grow out of it quickly, but it's a very good first step to take that makes learning easier/safer in my opinion. Could you start right out on a 650 with no experience at all? Yeah, probably; but if you start with a lighter bike you are stacking the odds a lot more in your favor and making it easier on yourself to learn. Used Viragos and Rebels are plentiful and cheap.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
<6 Feet tall, with an oversized nose! (lol)

With bikes, all that mattered to me, was if I could "flat foot" it when sitting still. It never ceases to amaze me, when I see a person too small for the bike they're on (imho) who have only the toe of their shoes, holding them balanced. Not a great idea, if you ask me.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
if the Rebel is too cramped, try sitting on a few other bikes to get a feel for them....Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Suzuki Boulevard S40 (650cc) or the S50 (805cc) a cruiser bike has more low end power than speed, the biggest thing with a new rider (as cruisers go) is the weight of the bike, then you get to engine sizes....I started out on a C50 (805cc) but I rode as a kid.....

go out to the local bike shops and sit on everything you can, find what fits you size/weight wise then look for used....the reason I suggested the S series of Boulevards is because they are a smaller frame bike, low seat height, lower weight than the C or M series

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Why not look at the new HD Street bikes or the Indian Scouts? Both are intended for new riders and both are able to be so much more than a basic bike. If you give that Scout its free will it will jerk your arms from their sockets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you only looking for cruisers? If not, I would suggest an adventure bike like the Suzuki V-Strom 650, the Kawasaki KLR 650, or the BMW F650GS.

I'm your same size and the BMW F650GS is very comfortable. If looking for one, just stay away from a low suspension model. They can be found for $2500-$5500 used depending on the year.

The F650GS is a great bike, and most of the bikes that you will find made since 2001 have ABS. This is a must-have feature in my book.

The F650GS is a single cylinder engine also know as a "thumper". It has a wide and smooth torque curve. It's nothing like a 600cc sport bike, which I would not recommend.

I learned to ride on a 2001 F650GS which I still have. It's a great, reliable, economical (60+ mpg), bike that I will never "outgrow". It's nice to know that I can ride it almost anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts