Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current Iron Butt record for consecutive days was 31,068 miles in 31 days.
A Gold Wing rider is trying to raise the bar to 40,000 miles in 40 days!!
Today - he is halfway through day 38!

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
What about time for frequent tire changes, oil and filter service etc??

My ARSE is sore just thinking of it.

Sam:)
Sam, maybe his route brings him back home frequently where he does it all himself. Has a pile of tires and oil change kits stacked up just waiting. I can't imagine relying on dealers to get him in and out without some hang-ups. That's a bunch of consecutive days and miles.

Rollin', when you say halfway through day 38, does that mean he is still on target? I wonder what his health is like at that point. Fatigue is bond to be setting in.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sam, maybe his route brings him back home frequently where he does it all himself. Has a pile of tires and oil change kits stacked up just waiting. I can't imagine relying on dealers to get him in and out without some hang-ups. That's a bunch of consecutive days and miles.

Rollin', when you say halfway through day 38, does that mean he is still on target? I wonder what his health is like at that point. Fatigue is bond to be setting in.
He is on target. At the end of day 38 he had 38,400 miles.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be curious as to what his route is too.

I wish him luck! That would be a real accomplishment!

(On the other hand, to me that's a complete waste of 40 days and 40,000 miles of riding.)
He is doing a lot of 500+ miles out and back. Save time and money. His starting point is southern California so he has a lot of route options.

· Very Famous Person
3,896 Posts
--

C'mon, you ask why? We all do things that are unnecessary in our everyday living. Occasionally we all do something 'stupid' like getting on the bike and going 150 miles just to have lunch at some place. We put a piece of chrome on the bike where no one ever notices it and even you never look at it. Sometimes we go all the way across country just to camp out when it would be so much more easy to just go to the state park nearby. We stay up late watching a movie we don't even like.

I hiked down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up in 6 hours some years ago. I rode to Golden, CO and back one day last summer (460 miles round trip) just to have the lunch pizza buffet at a Pizza Hut which is fantastic. I have one internet motorcycle site where I have posted over 700 photos from rides I've been on.

We don't always do things for a (good?) reason. Maybe it's fun to be better at something than anyone else?

--

· Gone.
14,767 Posts
So the guy gets up every day for 40 days in a row, get's on his bike and hauls a$$ for 500 miles, turns around and hauls a$$ home.

As an act of determination and a feat of endurance that will be an amazing accomplishment! I hope he makes it to his goal.

But the dude's an idiot.

If he craves recognition and respect he's digging for diamonds in a wheat field.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An EGO driven person likes accolades and awards and constant recognition in order to feel whole. Odd behavior to me but who am I to judge:grin:

Sam:nerd:
If a person wants awards and recognition there are better ways of getting that than long distance riding. I think LD riding is a lonely sport.
The simple answer is people do things because they want to and they can.
My 49 states in 10 days trip started with reading a story about someone else doing the ride. My first thought was "that's crazy" and then "I wonder if I can do that?" Spent months planning the route and preparing the bike and myself. Had to average 880 miles a day for 10 days and there where a few times I felt like quitting but after thinking about all of the time spent preparing I kept going, I didn't want to give up.
When I got to Hyder, AK I stopped for a moment and then crossed the state line into Alaska.
I stopped again and smiled, I had made it. There were no cheering crowds, there was no one but me. It was a very personal victory.

If you just want attention you would get more of that by buying a completed custom bike and ridding it to bike night.

· Veteran Member
2,937 Posts
Last summer I did this ride shown here. I enjoyed it because on that day I wanted to be away from home. I enjoyed it more because it wasn't my goal. I had no goal. I just got on the bike to go for a ride. It was just a ride that sorta happened. Iron Butt goal type riding is not something I would enjoy. I don't want to feel pressure to keep a schedule and meet a deadline.

There's a guy that lives near me. He's a "friend of friends" on social media. He very often brags about his Iron Butt rides as if it makes him a bigger and better motorcyclist. Last summer I went with a couple guys on a casual ride. Many stops for scenery, food, drinks, etc. At the end of the day we logged only 131 miles. One guy was riding a HD Dyna with no windscreen. His passenger no sissy bar. He posted on social media and that other guy chimed in to say we should let him know when we decide to do a real ride, and actually posted an unsolicited photo of his Iron Butt certificate showing his 1000 mile ride.

I've no problem at all with a person that likes Iron Butt riding. If they enjoy it, then I encourage it. But don't be a dick about it.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rollin' You have long been MY long distance HERO, doing things that I would absolutely love to do but due to my circumstances can't:wink2:

Sam:grin:
:smile: Thank you! I fully understand that not everyone is able to do the rides and even more so now that I can't do any long rides.
I was very lucky to have the resources, time and health to do the trips!

· Very Famous Person
3,896 Posts

As an act of determination and a feat of endurance that will be an amazing accomplishment! I hope he makes it to his goal.

But the dude's an idiot.

If he craves recognition and respect he's digging for diamonds in a wheat field.
--

That's a stupid reaction. Just because someone has a personal goal (presuming he's not doing it as a job) and accomplishes it is admirable, not 'being an idiot'. And to think craving recognition from those who know him is probably a part of his reason and probably true. We all can use praise.

--

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
I can see doing the 49 states, but not in 10 days it just isn't me. But to ride 500 miles turn around and go back home day after day does not make sense. Repeat it for 40 days, I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.